Chapter 78: Pitiful Sight

"Sleeping at home?" Fu Jichen leaned on the armrest of the sofa, one hand supporting his chin, looking casual but emanating a sense of pressure. "I had no idea your lying skills were so top-notch."

Shen Jianian's heart felt like it was being hammered.

Taking a step forward, she saw the lit-up screen of the phone on the coffee table, showing a photo of her and Pei Che, taken this morning at the hospital ward.

At that time, Pei Che had rolled off the hospital bed to stop her from leaving, curled up in pain on the ground. She was scared, squatting down to try to help him up, but he held onto her tightly.

How could someone happen to take a photo at that moment?

From that angle...

Shen Jianian recalled the layout of the hospital room. It should have been taken from the opposite side of the window, not from the corridor side. Who would have such a purpose, specifically waiting there to take a photo? She wasn't a celebrity.

Could it be because of Pei Che?

Since returning to the country, the young master of the Pei family had attracted a lot of media attention. She hadn't paid much attention, but colleagues at the secretary's office mentioned him, saying he often trended on Weibo.

"Don't have anything to say?" Fu Jichen picked up the cigarette box and lighter from the coffee table, lighting another one, his gaze sweeping back and forth on her. "Or are you still figuring out what excuse to fool me with?"

Shen Jianian was in turmoil. Lying to him would anger anyone. She had nothing good to say.

"Admitting it?" Fu Jichen looked at her disappointedly, flicking the ash into the ashtray. "You told me not to mention that person last night, yet you rushed to see him today, even making it to the news. Really giving me face, huh?"

He was speaking sarcastically, his aura heavy with hostility.

"I didn't mean to lie." Shen Jianian met his gaze. At that moment when she received his call, she couldn't understand why she lied. But now she understood. "I was afraid you'd be angry."

Fu Jichen's anger reached its peak, but he couldn't help but laugh. "So, I should thank you? Shen Jianian, you seem to have no idea how serious this is. You're in the news now, and your relationship with Pei Che is public knowledge. If there's any more news linking you and me in the future, do you think people won't associate it with me? Do you still want to reclaim Ling Yue? If you don't want to tell me sooner, I don't need to bother!"

As he spoke, his voice involuntarily raised.

Shen Jianian looked at him in astonishment. Did Fu Jichen orchestrate the loss of billions from the Pei family?

"Realizing it only now?" Fu Jichen sneered, seeing through her.

"I'm sorry." Shen Jianian lowered her eyes, paused, and explained why she had ended up at the hospital. "Someone called me, saying Pei Che was injured and asked me to come over, so I..."

Fu Jichen coldly interrupted her, "So you softened? Shen Jianian, let me tell you, this deal started because of you, but when it ends, it won't be up to you to decide."

He wanted to hear her explanation, but when she actually explained, he didn't want to hear a single word.

Shen Jianian knew he was really angry now and remained silent, letting him vent his anger.

"Not hearing me clearly?" Fu Jichen stared at her, infuriated. Who did she think she was, showing this pitiful look, expecting him to soften every time?