The infirmary

She and Carl didn't come across a single walker the whole way there. The only sounds they could hear was their quiet breathing and soft footsteps. No growls. No dead bodies. 

Diana couldn't even hear her own breath.

Just quiet.

She almost would have preferred it if she could hear them. It was better to know where they were instead of wondering. Instead she was left with her pounding thoughts. 

Not just thoughts about the infirmary.

Thoughts about Carl. 

She liked him. And she told him to his face! Weren't people supposed to be shy about it? But she felt like it was the right time to say it. And Carl seemed to feel the same way. So what did that mean for them? For their friendship? She didn't know how any of this was supposed to work. 

Maybe Maggie or Beth would know. 

She'd ask when she got back.

After all, Beth dated Jimmy and Maggie was dating Glenn. They should know a thing or two about liking someone.

Carl stopped suddenly, waving her to come to his side. "Think this is it?" He whispered, blue eyes scanning over the dark room. His fingers drummed against the walls nervously. It was enough to giver her second hand anxiety.

  She could see boxes and papers trashed all over the room. 

Even needles. 

And white rolls... those were bandages. 

"Yeah, this is it." She whispered back. "You grab those bandages and I'll grab the disinfectant." She pointed from the white cloths in the corner to the box in the center of the room. "Let's make this quick." 

  With that, the pair went their separate ways. 

Carl began stuffing the bandages in his pockets while Diana rummaged through the box. 

She found string for stitches and strange butterfly bandages, but the bottle for disinfectant was nowhere to be found. Not even when she got to the very bottom. 

  She glanced back at Carl before stepping to the other side of the room. Maybe it was in another box...

  She rummaged through two more, still coming up empty. Perhaps... the storage closet? Hershel needed that medicine badly. Even antibiotics would be something. He just needed some sort of medicine to keep away fever and infection. 

   She tiptoed closer to the heavy metal door, placing her fingers over the handle and pressing down softly. 

It gave way. 

How lucky that it had been unlocked. 

She opened it further, gasping when a walker stumbled out and reached for her. 

  She backed away quickly, pulling out her knife. 

  A gunshot rang through the air before it could take one step closer. It's head snapped back and it dropped to the cement with a spray of red.