A bad day

"Again." Shane ordered the group.

They all had driven to the edge of the huge property to shoot at cans lined up on a fence. Well, only the ones selected to go.

Carol, Andrea, Beth, Maggie, Glenn, and Diana were all to be trained. Shane was instructed to teach.

Rick had offered Daryl a spot in the teaching area, but he was too pissed that he wasn't allowed to go looking for Sophia. Diana had overheard Carol talking him out of stealing another horse.

  Lucky for Diana, this gave her the perfect opportunity to escape Carl.

That'll teach him to rub in her face that he has parents. Parents who keep him from learning to survive.

  Yet her heart still burned when she saw the way they cared for one another.

  The small group shot off another round of bullets, very few hitting the cans.

  Diana was amongst the group that had gotten lucky.

  She sent a smirk Shane's way. "Pretty good for an 8 year old, huh?"

    His face grew redder but he said nothing to her. Instead he pointed at the cans. "Again!"

  Another round of bullets.

   Only Andrea and Diana.

  "Excellent." Shane nodded approvingly to the older woman.

  Diana thought it was hilarious that Andrea was receiving praise from Shane, even though she had only made it once. Very funny.

  Was he losing interest in Lori?

If so... about time.

  Shane sauntered over time Diana and eyed the hole she had left in the metal cylinder. "Back straighter next time." He ordered as he clapped her on the back.

   Pain immediately sprung from her old back slashes. Sure, they had healed over, but they still ached.

   He smirked as he walked off to help Maggie, a silent message in his eyes from his revenge act.

  She flushed dark pink and turned to see if Andrea had witnessed the unspoken exchange. Instead of finding her practicing the taught stance or conversing with Carol...

        Andrea was giving Shane goo goo eyes.

  "Ew." Diana muttered before she could stop herself.

   Andreas expression turned from one of adoration to one of repulsion. "Excuse me?"

   Diana rolled her eyes. "Can't believe you're falling for... that." She nodded her head over in Shane's direction. Her stomach coiled in distaste. "He's a dumb man."

   The woman's mouth dropped open. "He is the smartest man here. He's tryin' to keep up alive!"

   Diana snorted as she opened the hand gun she had been given and checked the ammo. "Sure."

   Andrea rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "I'm not gonna argue with an elementary level student."

  "Good!" Diana smiles sweetly, only for it to slide off her face in an instant. "Then don't."

  Carol was coming along nicely. Sure, she had missed a bunch of times, but she could at least hit the cans every other time. And yes, she still jumped with every gun shot.

"You've got to focus." Diana heard faintly in her ears. She flinched slightly, only to realize the male voice wasn't something she had actually heard. It was a memory.