Finding civilization

(POV change) 

  Daryl had followed the river all day, taking a horse from Hershels farm without permission.

  For an hour, He searched for any footsteps along the river bank.

He found them about two miles out.

They practically lead him in circles.

Diana had started heading back in the direction of her fall but had begun straying.

The prints went north then east and in all sorts of directions.

He found a board with a nail poking straight up, covered in blood.

Her left foot print from then on was colored red.

Occasionally it was as if something had spooked her.

But there were no footprints.

She ran in circles and fell over many times, but only once because of an actual walker.

  "Damn kids loosin' her mind." He grumbled as he followed the tracks. He strapped his bow on his back and continued, moving his horse around the trees.

  Why was he even out here?

  Many people had asked him that, surprised that he had stepped up to help the daughter of an invisible woman and a pain in the butt loud mouth.

  He couldn't explain why.

   Maybe it was what he had told Andrea.

  Maybe it was what he had told Rick.

  Maybe it was what he told Shane.

  He growled and thrust himself back into reality.

  Focus.

  The tracks weren't too old. Maybe about half a day. He could catch up to her. After all, he had water and food. She was running off nothing.

  Four days.

  The girls were alone in the woods for four days.

   Diana had stopped by the river for water (a very stupid decision really).

  But he had no idea about Sophia.

Sophia's mother was going down hill without her little girl.

  It drove Daryl crazy when he had to listen to Carols constant sobbing.

  Every night her shoulders shook and almost silent gasps escaped her lips.

    Ricks wife hounded him about finding the girls. Whenever he came back she was right there, asking if he had found them. She even wanted to know if he still had tracks.

Each time he shook her off.

He would find them.

He didn't know how.

  He didn't know when.

But he would find them.

   He wasn't scared to spend the night in the forest looking.

  He wasnt scared of walkers.

  But the horse was.