Carl the jerk

"She's back?!"

That was the first thing she heard before she had even opened her eyes.

"Yes she's back! You can see her when she's up." A softer feminine voice ordered quietly.

"No I need to see her now!"

"Carl come back!"

  Loud footsteps.

   "You'll break your stitches!"

   The door to the bedroom slammed open.

  "Diana!"

   She flinched from her spot on the floor, eyes snapping open as someone crashed into her body.

"You're alive!"

"Ow! What?" She held herself up quickly by her forearms, still too tired to see who it was.

The brown haired boy wrapped his arms around her quickly. "I missed you so so so much!"

Suddenly her brain caught up with what was going on.

The light brown hair.

The laughing blue eyes.

The freckles sprinkled across his face.

"Carl!" She embraced him as fast as she could. "Carl you're okay! I heard you got shot and I didn't see you yesterday!

Ha laughed and rested his chin on her shoulder. "You were gone for so long."

"And you got shot." She replied back. "I was only gone for four days and you nearly died."

Carl leaned away and placed his hands on her shoulders. "You were ALONE! And no one could help you! What if you got bit?"

She rolled her eyes and gently took his hands off. "I'm fine now. But, sophia..." her excitement trailed off and she sat up. "Sophia's still out there."

His smile fell as well. "Yeah... she's gone for now." He straightened his back. "But we'll find her. It'll be us three again. Just like it was before."

Diana smiled softly. Sure, she still felt like it was 'them two and her' at times but when Carl said it like that she could believe him. Even for a second.

She could believe that she was a part of this group.

"So what was it like in the woods?" Carl questioned quickly. "And where's your hat?"

She felt the top of her head quickly before remembering where it was.

"Sophia still has it." She groaned, feeling bare without it. "She was scared so I gave it to her. I thought it might make her feel safer."

Her eyes drifted up to the top of Carl's head.

Right on top rested a sheriffs hat. "Where'd you get that?" It seemed familiar but she couldn't figure from where.

   He touched it lightly as a huge grin spread across his cheeks. "My Dad gave his old sherif hat to me! Isn't it awesome? He said that it's mine now!"

   Yes she did remember Rick wearing it at one point.

  "That's pretty cool." She reached up to grip the rim and shoved it over his face. "I like it better like this."

  He laughed and shoved her away lightly. "I missed having you around."

    She playfully rolled her eyes. "Sure ya did."