Confronting Daryl

I saw this and it reminded me of Diana and Daryl's relationship. Especially how I plan to progress it moving forward :)

——

Why did he have to choose the tent 50 bajillion feet away? It was way too much work to run over to the dirty pitched piece of fabric. By the time she got there she was already worn out.

Her legs were aching, her foot was throbbing, and her back scratches had decided to hurt again.

She shuffled over to his tent, hesitating at the entrance.

Was this a good idea?

Maybe it would be better to hide in another tree.

" ya gonna dawdle or come in?" Daryl asked roughly from inside.

Too late. Might as well commit.

She swept the entrance fabric aside and ducked to enter. "Hi."

He was laying down in his sleeping bag, a look of disgust on his face.

Maybe it was the fact that he couldn't go outside to look more.

Maybe it was that Diana had come to bother him some more.

Maybe it was that Andrea had brought him a book as a pity present and expected him to read it.

He turned his head to the side. "What ya want."

She bit the inside of her cheek. "Thought I should at least say thank you for lookin for me." She mumbled.

He snorted. "Ain't the only reason ya here. Lori or Carol force ya?"

She rolled her eyes, already wishing she hadn't ran over. "No. I wanted to on my own accord."

It was BS but he didn't need to know.

"Then ya want somethin' else, don't ya?" He raised a skeptical eyebrow at her, messing with the bandages Carol had forced him to keep on.

"It's a reason but there is another thing." She played with the edges of the tent fabric. "Carl and I got in a fight and I don't wanna talk to him."

She expected him to kick her back out.

Or at least call her something bad.

Instead he waved her to come in further. It was a surprise, but at least she was out of sight. She gladly did so.

"What y'all fight about." He asked, grabbing the small green book Andrea had given him. Diana tried to read the cover but it was in cursive. She never learned how to read cursive.

By the look on Daryl's face, he was just as confused.

"He was just being a butt nugget." She grumbled, sitting down. "We both said some things we shouldn't have."

Daryl scoffed. "What, y'all fight over a toy or somethin'?"

Her blood began to run red hot. "He brought up my parents. Said that I didn't have anyone to care about me." Her face grew pink and her gaze fell to her crossed legs. "I know you don't care about anyone or what they think of you but it hurt me."

"Best not to care." He gave up trying to understand the book and pulled out his hunting knife instead, sharpening it quietly. "People will always try to fit you in their box. Besides, Carl don't know bout your family. Most of us don't."

She narrowed her eyes. "What great advice."

He shrugged. "Don't want advice then don't complain."