He's back whoopdeedo

Happy New Years everyone! So excited for 2022 and for all that comes with it! Here you all are!

——-

Diana sat with Carl on her bed just like before she'd left.

She hated how their room looked so she began making the bed, because they weren't allowed to listen in on their conversation. So she ended up moving things around to cure her boredom. And Carl sort of watched and commented every now and again.

"And you're sure everyone is okay?" Diana asked as she hung up one of the old posters she'd found in her house. "Other than that mustache guy?" She briefly felt bad she never talked to him but his friend hadn't been the best so she brushed it off quickly.

Carl nodded, catching the poster before it fell. "Yeah. You already saw Judith. She's okay. We just had to think fast. If it weren't for-." He stopped immediately. She didn't know why. He paused for a moment and watched her, a strange look crossing his face before he seemed to settle on something else he wanted to say. "...Are...you? Okay?" He leaned a bit closer to study her face.

She involuntarily held up her hand to block his view of her eye, turning to hang up the poster in a different spot. "I'm better, at least." She offered. "It wasn't much but it's better now."

There was silence for a good minute.

She didn't need to say anything about her home. What was done was done. She'd never be back again.

"So, what were you gonna say? What was it that helped you guys?" She asked, pulling out the green truck from her old house. Judith would like it.

  Carl didn't answer, instead opting to play with his fingers. "Well, why don't you tell me about where you went?"

She shrugged as she dusted off her toy truck. "I just.. went somewhere. Found some stuff. That's all." She stopped and narrowed her eyes at him. "Why are you being... weird.." she eyed his fiddling fingers and nervous stance. "You're hiding something." It wasn't an accusation. It was a statement.

He was in fact hiding something.

"Hey you're hiding things too." Carl immediately turned red and crossed his arms. "But. It's not important okay?" He hesitated before he noticed the toy she had. "Why don't you tell me about the truck?"

She glanced down and decided she'd let this slide. She had her fair share of secrets. It must be important if he didn't want to tell her. "It's a toy from when I was a kid. I figured Judith should have it." She spun the wheel thoughtfully. "Hey, I think I'll go give it to her right now. She could use a good truck after what happened."

"Wait, they don't want us down there!" Carl argued. "It's... it's a grown up conversation!"

Diana rolled her eyes. "Oh please, I'll just be in Judiths room for two seconds! What's the problem if I'm only there for a little bit?"

"But-?"

"They'll probably stop the moment I get down there anyway." She shrugged and went around Carl. "I'll be back."

Carl didn't follow her.

She passed the empty stalls, a shiver crawling up her spine.

He wasn't here.

The governor wasn't here.

She was only going to be alone for a few seconds and then she'd be with Judith.

She finally could breathe when she got to the stairs. Shining the vehicle with her shirt, she made her way down the stairs. There was a spot left and she didn't know what it was or why it wouldn't get off. It was a strange brownish red color. Hopefully it didn't belong to a walker.