The gang

"You were supposed to grab the guns!" A large voice shouted out of nowhere. "You know the rules! We don't take outsiders unless they're useful!"

"She IS useful!" A smaller voice argued back. "They have the guns. We have a member of their group!"

Diana's eyes snapped open, still only seeing a burlap sack. Some light filtered in but she couldn't see any of the men talking.

Why did it feel like her head was stuffed full of soggy Cotten?

She tried to move her hands but they were restrained behind the chair she was sitting on. Her feet were also tied.

"She's waking up!" The small voice added excitedly. "They'll come back for her and we'll trade the guns! No one gets hurt."

Diana's heart was trying to fight its way out of her chest, pounding against her rib cage. "Let me out!" She screamed, breathing raggedly. Her arms were tied too tight and rubbed painfully against her skin.

"Wait a damn minute." Footsteps stormed closer to her.

She fought harder to escape.

The sack on her head was ripped off, blinding her with light. She screwed her eyes shut and waited for the worst.

"You grabbed a KID?!" The voice boomed angrily.

"I didn't know she was a kid!"

She peeled open one eye.

"How did you NOT know?! Look she barely goes up to the bottom of my rib cage!"

The two men were arguing. The room door was closed and a bright light was flashed to aim into her eyes. Just like in the detective movies she watched on Sunday mornings.

"We were fightin'! There were two men comin' at us with guns and a Chinese man and some insane redneck shootin' ARROWS! Not to mention the twenty walkers comin' from all sides!" The smaller man shrank away from the bulkier dude holding the brown cloth.

"We don't take kids!" The bigger man argued back.

"Let me out!" Diana begged, fighting against the ties. "We can forget this ever happened and you'll never see me again!"

The bigger man groaned, rubbing a hand over his face. "Jorge..."

"I'm sorry, okay?" The smaller man, Jorge, pressed himself against the wall. "What more do you want? We need the guns. We couldn't get them. Now we have a hostage."

"We have a KID!" The man stormed closer.

"And they have one of ours to, Guillermo!" Jorge held his hands up. "They have him and he's hurt! Besides she attacked one of our men as well! She sliced his arm!"

That's right. Her group DID have one of their members... and she DID slice of the men.

But where was her knife?

She jerked to look at her pants waist, seeing nor feeling any knife... or notebook.

She was alone, weaponless, in a room full of two strangers, and she was strapped to a chair.

   Guillermo smacked the wall by Jorge. "What do you think parents do when they find their kid is missing? ESPECIALLY in an APOCALYPSE!"

Jorge crumpled to the ground to avoid Guillermo shoving his face in his. "Ummmm... call the police?" He tried, shrugging.

"They will KILL!"  Guillermo shouted. "We're in the end of the world, man! No police!"

Diana squeaked as the rope cut into her wrist.