The run aways

"Sophia!" Diana panted. "We need to go back!"

  "We'll go when we lose the monsters!" Sophia cried,  grip firm around her wrist.

  The leaves crunched with every pounding footstep.

  "We could get lost!" She argued back.

  Sophia said nothing and kept pulling her along, both practically tripping over their feet.

The walkers stayed on their trail for four minutes.

  They heard someone running behind them.

  "Girls!"

It was Rick.

   Sophia screeched to a stop. "Rick you have to help us!" She sobbed, tears beginning to track down her freckles cheeks. "Please! Use your gun!" She gestured to it wildly.

  He shushed her quickly, blue eyes wide. "I can't. It'll alert the walkers on the road."

   "How ya gonna kill em then?" Diana questioned, much calmer than her friend.

  "Lead em away." He answered as he grabbed Sophia's hand. "Come on."

  He had offered Diana his hand as well but she refused and chose to jog by his other side.

  He lead them to the right of the direction they had been running.

  The walkers followed closely behind them, charging up the hill.

  Rick waded into the river. "See that spot underneath the roots?" He turned to his left and pointed.

  It was a hollowed in spot in the side of the hill, shelter being created by the overhanging foliage and roots. Slightly muddy, slightly grassy but an excellent hiding spot.

  "Get in." He ordered quietly as he gently pushed them in the direction.

   Quickly, they did as he said and crawled in.

  "I'm gonna lead them away." He explained, holding his hands out in assurance when Sophia began to protest. "It's okay. If I don't come back soon you head that way." He turned and pointed in the direction of the road. "I can take them down if I'm by myself. I can't worry bout you two. Just sit still an' be quiet." He locked eyes with Diana. "You watch out for her. You know how to survive without adults."

  Diana nodded confidently. "Of course."

She would protect he friend. She would bring her home safely.

Sophia swallowed thickly. "Okay. But hurry." She pleased as they both sunk further into the shadows.

  Rick nodded. He backed up and locked eyes with the approaching walkers.

   Sophia clutched Diana's wrists when she saw the walkers drop into the river and follow the sherif. The man ran further into the woods, leaving behind only the soft crunch of leaves and footprints.

    They let out a sigh of relief.

   Rick would make it.

  Rick was strong.

  He would outsmart the walkers and come back.

  He would take them back to the RV and Sophia could be with her mother again.

"He'll come back for us." She assured Sophia when she saw her terrified face. "He'll bring you home." She squeezed her hand. "I promise."

She would do everything she could to make sure she came home.