A second run and tearful goodbyes

SCHOOL IS OUT AND IM READY TO WRITE, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!
I'm also headed to colorado and I'm in the middle of moving houses so I'm really sorry I haven't updated! I saw all your messages and I'm ok 👍 I'm on a bus right now so I'll post this and then try to update again tonight when I'm at our hotel :)

Edit: again, not deleting that ^ because I like being able to look back at things lol

Anyway thanks for 383,000 reads! That's absolutely bonkers haha I still can't believe it! I'm absolutely in love with this book and writing it and I'm so happy you've all enjoyed it as I have <3

I also had to straight up scrap this older chapter because I couldn't reuse any of the dialog :( But I saved it in a doc in case I need it later! 

Also guys! GO WATCH NIMONA! It's beautiful and I cried ten times 

Also ALSO: any song ideas to update the Diana based playlist? ----> 

This one reminds me of Diana's struggle in the apocalype

ok ok Onward!
——

Diana threw her backpack into the backseat of the car. 

"Do you really need your whole backpack for this run?" Carl asked her, eyebrow raised. He leaned against the car door once she had shut it. "It's just gonna weigh you down." 

"Carl, I can carry my water, my notebook, food in case we're hungry, and anything else I could possibly need, hands free." She counted on her fingers. "I think you should be askin' if you really wanna go without one." She situated her blue baseball cap to keep the sun from her eyes. 

Her blonde hair had been pulled into a pony tail and pulled through the back of her hat, but it was getting long enough that it started to graze the tops of her shoulders (despite being in a hat). She desperately needed a haircut. 

Only she didn't want it cut with a knife and they had no scissors. She wanted it cut even and she didn't think anyone else had hair cutting experience. 

Carl glanced at her playing with the tips of her blonde hair. "Hey, I offered to cut that for you." He folded his arms. 

Diana rolled her eyes playfully and stepped away from the vehicle to head inside and bug Rick about leaving. "And I told you that once you practiced on your own hair, I'd let you!" She shouted over her shoulder. 

Aside from bugging Carl's dad, she wanted to say her goodbyes. Rick had said they'd be gone most of the day and possibly even tomorrow. 

She opened the door to the prison and left Carl to finish packing his own necessities. 

When she didn't see Rick anywhere, she made her first stop with Judith. 

The little girl was still sleeping. She was sprawled all over her carrier and drool dripped down her chin. Diana's old truck sat on the floor next to her. 

The older girl giggled at the sight and bent down, scooping up Judith, and placing her in her arms. 

Judith's beautiful eyes opened and took in whoever was holding her. She giggled and reached out to Diana's face when she saw it was her. She babbled at her and pulled at Diana's hair. 

She took it from the girl's grasp gently. "I'm gonna be gone for a little bit," she told the baby, "but I'll be back before you even know I'm gone." 

The little girl babbled again.