Going back

All of your comments are amazing and I love reading them! Oh my goodness you guys are hilarious 😆 you really make writing this book worth it :) thanks for not being upset about my inconsistent posting lately you guys are the best!

So here's the next chapter my lovelies 💙
——

Diana was ready to go.

She spent two days in that house; one extra day.

She'd raided the garage for her fathers gasoline, the kitchen for any canned food, and her old room for new art supplies and blankets. The group could use any little bit, right? And Judith had three new toys coming her way. It was very lucky that Diana's mom had a hard time getting rid of anything. They had so many of her old baby things in the basement it was insane.

Also her dad's old binoculars would come in handy.

Briefly, she thought Daryl could use them whenever he went on a run or whatever.

But she threw that mental picture of him away before she could even think about him.

Her family was most important.

Her family NOW.

That second morning she gathered her belongings in her bag and prepared for the journey back.

She really hoped that the new supplies would keep the main three adults in her life from murdering her in cold blood. Maybe they'd be able to forgive her. Even thank her.

Yeah that was too much to hope for. The best she could do was head back and get it over with.

She passed the doorway on her way out of the room, stopping in front of where they'd marked her height when she was little.

One last mark.

Just one.

She'd had her last day and now she needed one last mark.

She pressed her back against the smooth wood and pulled out a sharpie. Scrunching her nose at the smell, she dragged it over the wood just above her head.

It was the first time she did it herself.

WITHOUT her parents hovering over her and saying how big she had gotten.

She stepped away when she was done and scribbled "12" right next to it.

Perfect.

She placed the sharpie in her bag and blew on the mark softly to dry it faster.

She was ready.

Finally ready to leave it all behind.

It was hard.

Very very hard.

But she was ready to face the world now.

She went through all her old favorite books.

She found all her old sketchbooks.

She found empty picture albums and all her mother's favorite candles.

Even her dad's old tool box.

Who knows, maybe she could use it to build her own motorcycle.

Teach herself to ride it.

Maybe she and Carl could use it when they're trusted to go on runs.

Enough of that.

She needed to go back.

And luckily, the hallucination hadn't returned since she saw that road sign. The ride over would be peaceful. Quiet even.