The herd

Finally got to season 2 :p

Diana had been moved from Daryl's truck to Carols car with Sophia and Carl. They were headed for Fort Benning, which was 125 miles away.

The members in the car were currently discussing a failed trip to the Grand Canyon when Carl was little.

"You ever been to the Grand Canyon?" Rick leaned back to look at her in the rear view mirror. "Diana?"

She snapped out of her daze. "What?"

"I asked if you've ever been to the Grand Canyon."

She shrugged and looked back out the window.

Diana had fought Carl for the window seat and she succeeded. She wasn't about to be distracted from the view now.

"I wanted to but we grew up poor." She tapped her finger against her leg. "The furthest we ever went was the park by my house."

Carl leaned forward from his seat in the middle. "Can we go see the Grand Canyon now?" Excitement fulled his voice.

Lori chuckled at him. "I wish."

Sophia jumped in as well. "I'd like to see it to."

"Tell you what," Rick chuckled, "I promise that we won't go see the Grand Canyon without you or your mom."

Sophia grinned as her mother cast an arm around her shoulders.

"You to, Diana."

She looked away from the window, surprised she'd been dragged into the conversation again. "What?"

"If we ever go we'll bring you to." Lori explained gently.

"Oh." She wanted to ask why, but it seemed like a rude thing to say. "Thanks for the...uhhh... hypothetical promise..."

Wow.

10/10 response.

She brushed away the awkwardness and continued to stare out the window, lost in thought.

The RV in front stopped.

Diana tried to look around it to see why they weren't moving as Rick rolled down his window.

Was it a herd?

Did they run out of gas?

Daryl, on his motorcycle, turned and drove next to the RV.

"Blocked by cars!" He shouted up to Dale in the front seat.

That made sense.

It was practically a burial ground for the civilization they had known.

"Think you can guide us through?" Dale asked back.

Daryl nodded and turned back around.

The RV started back up and the group followed Daryl as he weaved in and out of cars.

"Where would you go if you could?" Carl asked the other kids. "Don't matter the distance."

"I'd go to Niagara Falls." Sophia hugged her stuffed doll tighter. "I've heard that the water makes a rainbow when the light hits it."

"I'd go to Fort Benning." Carl crowed triumphantly, as if he had outsmarted everyone in the car. "Diana, where would you go?" He looked to Diana, noticing that she was checked out of reality again. "Diana?"

He elbowed her side.

"What do you want?" She hissed, jumping.

"Where would you go if distance didn't matter?"he repeated, completely unfazed by her rudeness.