Loose cannon

Diana eyed Shane's tent quietly from her spot on the picnic table.

Sort of rewind/flashback:

   Last night,  Sophia, Carl, and herself had a sleepover. They weren't allowed to stay up but they were allowed to play one card game. When Lori thought they were all asleep, about an hour after they had all stopped talking, she began to talk to Rick.

    She retold what had happened with Diana when they found her up until that moment.

  She had also mentioned that Shane had confiscated her bag... and he had stashed it under his cot.

  Lori told her story in full seriousness...

   Rick had responded with comments that made light of the situation.

  "There's something wrong, Rick." Lori had said firmly. "She's always looking at the woods. She came here terrified of us. The only ones I see her truly comfortable around are Glenn and Sophia."

  Diana hadn't known that she was that transparent.

   "Yesterday I stood up to hand her her food and she flinched. Rick, she thought I was going to hurt her." She whispered harshly.

   Diana HAD thought she was going to hit her...for a split second.

   Rick cut into her monologue. "She told me she didn't have a good home life. Maybe she was abused or neglected. We don't know."

   "But she mentioned how her family used to do things yesterday. She wasn't speaking like," she paused, "like someone who had been hit or forgotten."

   Technically, Diana hadn't lied. She had a great life with great friends, but the apocalypse is what changed things.

   "Kids act strange when their parents don't treat them right." Rick comforted her. "Let's just do our best."

  :End of flashback

   Diana stood from her spot. She was supposed to be involved in a game of freeze tag, but she had made sure she was tagged as close as she could be to Shane's tent.

  The others were still being chased by Morales's daughter and Shane was talking with Rick and Lori.

             She had time to execute her plan.

     She slipped over to Shane's tent and ducked inside, casting one last look over her shoulder.

  It was a complete wreck.

  Clothes donned the ground and the sheets were unmade. Totally not what she expected from the strict man.

    She looked under the cot, shoving aside whatever didn't feel like a bag.

It had to be under there.

Lori said that was where he put it.

The familiar feel of bag pack fabric grazed her fingers and she clutched the strap confidently.

"Lori... I don't want this to end."

Diana stopped, frozen in fear.

"Shane you know this can't go on."

"Yes it can!"

Diana lifted her head slowly, spotting the bickering siloghettes of Lori and Shane.

They were just on the other side of the thin tent fabric.

"You told me he was DEAD, Shane." Lori whispered harshly. "I'm HIS wife and Carl is HIS son."