The attack

"Diana wake up!" Rick said hurriedly

   Arms wrapped around her middle and set her on her feet before she was fully awake.

  "...What..?" She mumbled, stumbling forward.

  "We gotta run!" Rick grabbed her forearm and pulled her along. "The camp's being attacked by walkers!"

  This snapped her from her haze.

  Hair raising screams filled her ears.

  She ran faster, heart beating erratically.

  Was Carl okay? And Sophia? What if they were dead? What if she could have helped their fates if she had stayed?

  She jolted the intrusive thoughts quickly. She didn't know what happened to them yet so she shouldn't assume.

   Man of the group members were scattered, each fighting a different group of walkers.

  Daryl loosed an arrow into the head of a walker woman attacking Dale.

  Rick pulled out his revolver and charged for Lori and Carl, both by their tent with Shane fighting off two walkers.

  Glenn ran to Andrea, who was too busy sobbing over Amy's dead body to protect herself.

  Where was Sophia and Carol?

  She pulled out her knife, blocking out the screams of the camp.

   Quickly, she dashed to Carol's tent.

  "Mom!" Sophia screamed from inside. Her cries were swirled with sobs of fear.

  Diana burst through the tent flap.

  Sophia's father... was on the ground... being eaten alive. The Walker was hunched over his body, stripping him of his flesh.

  Sophia and Carol huddled into the corner in fear, too frozen in terror to move. Screams ripped from their throats.

   Diana tightened her grip and lunged for the walker. Just like the many she had killed before, the knife plunged through its temple and ceased its movements.

  It collapsed on top of Sophia's father.

  "Sophia, Carol, are you okay?" Diana tucked her knife back into her pants waist.

   They both stared, wide eyed and clutching each other.  "Y-yes we're... we're fine." Carol swallowed thickly and stood. Tears pricked the corner of her blue eyes. "But Ed..." her tears dropped down her cheek and off her chin.

  Diana looked at the man in disgust. "Why are you sad for him." She shook her head. "He hit you both."

  Carol covered her mouth to hide her cries.

  "I'm not going to spare your feelings; I'm glad he's dead." Diana growled. "He can't hurt anyone."

  Sophia took her mother's hand but did not cry. "It's okay, mom." Her mother cradled her daughter against her, both shaking in fear. "We're going to be okay."

   Diana's heart clenched at the two.

  Where was her own mother when she needed her?

  No.

No she didn't need her anymore.

She would never need her again.

Or anyone.

  Screams outside reminded her of the ongoing fight.

   She dashed outside, knife ready.

  There were fifteen more walkers.