Frogs

Hey guys if you like this story please comment on anything you liked! If you found something funny or cute please drop a comment XD I'm trying to stay motivated

——

  Diana barely stepped out of the tent before she was noticed by a certain freckled blond girl.

"You're back you're back you're back!" Sophia screamed excitedly as she tackled her. Diana let out a grunt as impact was made. "Don't leave again!"

   Diana stood awkwardly as Sophia wrapped her arms around her neck in a hug.

  "I'm sorry..?"

   Sophia stepped back, a grin  cracking her face in half. "I missed you lots."

Guilt filled the pit of her stomach. "I'm really really sorry." She rubbed her arm awkwardly. "I didn't realize I was gone until I was lost."

Sophia shrugged. "It's fine! Now let's go play something!" She grabbed her hand and attempted to drag her to the clearing in front of the woods.

   Diana held her ground. "Doesn't your dad not want us to play together?" She pointed from Sophia to herself. "He very clearly told us that last I heard and I don't want you to get in trouble."

  "He's taking a nap in the tent." She said slyly. "So let's go!" Sophia strengthened her grip and charged forward. "We can ask the adults if we can play in the quarry!"

Diana spotted the grown ups standing around the same wallow talkie box about twenty feet away.

   "Ok ok I can run by myself!" Diana loosened her hand from Sophia's death grip, but managed to follow Sophia's pace. "Are there fish or frogs or bugs?"

  Sophia shrugged. "Maybe..? We can stay away from them if you want."

  Diana found herself trying to hold back a smile. "Let's catch the biggest frog we can find."

  Sophia giggled and nodded.

  Lori glances over from her spot on the grass. "What are you two laughing about?" She smiled gently. She gave Shane a hopeful look in which he returned. Maybe Shane wouldn't need to force her to stay.

  Sophia pulled Diana forward. "We're gonna go to the quarry if that's okay."

  Diana offered a small smile. "We're gonna catch frogs."

  "The biggest frogs!" Sophia added.

  Carl shuddered next to his mom. "Ew no thank you." He noticed the girls giving him funny looks. "What? They're gross and slimy and eat bugs and pee in your hands!" He stuck his tongue out for extra emphasis.

  Diana smirked. "My dad used to cook up frogs for dinner!" Carl's face morphed into one of horror. "The legs were all crunchy and crispy and the most wonderful golden brown."

  "Ewwwww!"

  Lori let out a loud laugh.

  "I'm sure I know how to make them!" Diana nodded, very serious. "We could eat them for dinner!"

   Carl covered his ears and screwed his eyes shut. "Ewewewew no! stop stop stop! stop talking!"

  Diana shrugged as Sophia kept giggling. "Your loss!"

The walkie talkie box burst into static before going silent.

  Lori explained when she saw their confused expressions. "There's this man that's trying to head into the city." She shook her head sadly. "Doesn't realize it's been over run by walkers. He's been trying to talk through his car radio but he can't hear us warning him."