Cards

"She's sad, mom." Carl stated glumly, chin resting in his hands.

Diana sat at the picnic table with Glenn's hat in her lap. She fiddled with the frayed end slowly. Her eyes seemed downcast and her thoughts were running in endless circles.

Every time someone walked past her she flinched.

Lori patted Carl on his shoulder. "You remember what your father told you to do when people are sad?"

Carl shook his head at the thought of his father. "No."

Lori smiled softly. "He always said that whenever someone is sad, the best thing to do is be there. You might not understand what they're going through, but you can be there for them." She leaned closer to his ear. "They'll never forget it." She rubbed small circles on his back. "It'll show her how much it means to you to become her friend."

Carl turned to watch her. "How can I be there for her? Every time I try to be there she turns away!"

"I saw Glenn give her a pack of cards." She whispered as the smile on her face grew bigger. "Go ask if you can play cards with her."

Carl's blue eyes sparkled as his grin began to match hers. "Can I bring Sophia to?"

"That's a great idea." Lori winked as she sent him towards Carols tent. "Have fun!"

    Lori watched the kids from her seat happily. She couldn't see the future, but she knew this plan would work.

  Carl and Sophia approached Diana slowly.

   "Wanna play Spit?" Carl asked hopefully, causing Diana to jump.

  She glared at him. "What's spit." She cringed at the idea of saliva. It wasn't suuuuuper gross, but it wasn't her favorite. They way it just sat in everyones mouths... and the bubbles and particles in it... bleh.

   Sophia sat next to her in the bench. "It's a card game! It's really super fun." She moved further away when Diana narrowed her eyes. "Would you... can we..." she had lost her confidence. "Want us to teach you?"

   Diana sighed. "Did Glenn put you up to this?"

  Carl shook his head and sat in front of her. "Nope! We're here on our own accord." He reaches out an open palm. "Can we show you?"

  Diana bit at the loose skin on her lip in thought. "Okay." She pulled the card box from her back pocket and dropped it into his hand. "Nothing better to do."

   Carl and Sophia grinned at each other.

They went through the game rules quickly, and Diana found herself to be a very good player. To even out the playing field, Carl made up a rule that she had to use only one hand. 

It started pretty slow and definitely awkward.

   "If I win..." Carl started as he played out his cards again. "You have to tell me your name."

   Diana simply shrugged. "If I win, then you have to eat a worm."

  It was simple and easy.

  A chorus of 'ewwwwww's sounded from the other kids.

  "If I win," Sophia pulled her cards together in a neat deck, "then both of you owe me tonight's dessert from your ration!"

  Carl's mouth dropped. "We have dessert?!"

  Sophia nodded. "Chocolate pudding!"

  "You're lying! We never have dessert!"

  "We do!" Sophia argued.