▸ FLOAT

FLOAT

FLOAT

Monday the 11th of September

I didn't want to come to the homecoming meeting, but like cheer practice, I had no choice. Jewels is perched beside Percy glaring at me while I attempt to blend into the background.

Annika compiles a list of materials and jobs that need to be completed and Jewels adds snarky commentary which nobody comments on.

How can Percy be with someone like that?

I assume they're back on since I had to catch the bus this morning, and when I got off, the pair were tangled up in the parking lot making out.

"Charlie, can you organise supplies?" Annika smiles.

My mouth drops. "Hm?"

"I'll do it."

Jewels stands up, so I race to Annika and take the supply list. I don't want to be here, but I'm not letting Jewels do this. Besides, Percy said I should do the full American experience. Although, I don't remember fighting with a mental cheerleader on the list.

It's only as I step out, I regret it. "Mr East" is scribbled on the first line.

"Ah fuck," I mutter.

I'm not going back, so I head to woodwork knock on the door.

Just when I think he's not there, the door opens and a bewildered Noah stares back.

Our kiss from the party comes racing back and I lose the ability to speak. I hold the paper up and point to the first item.

"Do you need something?"

"The seniors want me to get supplies for the float. Do you have any cardboard we can use?"

"There should be, what's the theme?"

"The beach."

Noah waves me into the room while he walks to the supply room. It's painfully silent which only makes me nervous about our class later today.

I regret going to Percy's party; I should have stayed home. Maybe none of this would have happened if I'd just . . . what am I saying?

Noah pokes his head out of the supply room and says, "I have large pieces of cardboard in the back. Do you want it now or later?"

"Can Il grab it later in the week?"

"Okay." He nods. "If you need a place to work or store, let the seniors know the woodwork room is available."

"Cheers for that." I smile.

Noah returns the list and I quickly bail. Before the next period starts, I manage to round up a few more supplies before tossing the list into my bag and heading to math.