▸FAMILY

FAMILY

FAMILY

January 2022

We finish our dinner and Noah takes our plates and puts them in the kitchen. I move in front of the woodfire and sigh as the heat spreads across my skin and warms me up. The fire crackles and pops as the wood burns, and the light splashes into the room, softly illuminating the lounge room.

"Thank you for dinner, it was delicious."

"You're welcome." I smile.

Noah sits beside me and wraps his arms around my waist. He nuzzles his face into the crook of my neck and kisses me.

"Thank you so much for this weekend getaway. I really needed to get out of the house and go somewhere new and this place is perfect."

He kisses my cheek and grins.

"I promised to keep things adventurous and I like exploring new places with you."

"I hope it's not too cold to go exploring tomorrow." I sigh.

Noah bites his lower lip and grins.

"I know a few ways we can warm up." He winks.

"Oh, I would love to hear this."

His eyes gleam with excitement as he trails a fingertip down my arm. Shives coil down my spine and goosebumps leave a trail in its wake.

"We could sit in front of the fire."

"And?"

"We could remove our clothes and warm up faster."

I turn to the side and he hooks my legs over his, which pulls us closer. I run my hands down his chest and hook my fingertips into the waistband of his pants.

"What else would we do?"

Some kissing." He pecks my nose, my forehead, then my lips. "And some more kissing."

"I love the sound of this."

"And I love you." He twirls his index finger around a lock of my hair.

I catch his hand and smile as his wedding band catches the light.

He hooks his finger under my chin and lifts my gaze to meet his.

"What are you thinking about?" He sighs.

His green eyes search mine for something.

"You, me, us." I shrug.

His shoulders sag and relief overcomes him.

"I think about you all the time."

"What about?"

"How lucky I am to have you as my beautiful wife and where our future is going and what we'll be doing in it."

"Oh." I raise my eyebrows.

His hands slip under my t-shirt and he grins.

"I can't wait to put a baby in there."

His fingers spread across my tummy and I squirm away from his ticklish grip.

"A baby? You want a baby?"

Noah nods and sheepishly smiles.

"Yes, but only when you're ready."

I drop my gaze to my fingers and entwine them.

"But like, how do you know you're ready for that?"

He slips his hands out from my t-shirt and places me on my waist.

"You can read all the books, watch all the videos but I don't think anyone is ready for a baby. If two people are committed to each other and making a family, then you're ready. Everything else you can learn on the way."

"Hm, that does make a lot of sense."

He slides his hands over my thighs and squeezes them.

"If you have any worries or concerns, we can talk about it."

Nerves bubble in the pit of my stomach but I take a deep breath and let it all out.

"What if I can't fall pregnant? What if something goes wrong with the baby before or after the birth? And the birth, oh my goodness, will you still want me after you see a baby exit my downstairs? That's only the tip of the iceberg."

Noah's eyes go wide which doesn't soothe my worries.

"It's all things we'll deal with if and when the time comes. Bringing a new life into this world isn't easy, especially on your part, but for the most part, we will do this together."

"Together sounds less scary."

Noah cups my face and pulls me closer.

"Together, baby. It's you and me."

I crush his lips to mine and it's wild and passionate. My toes curl and that wanting heat spreads through me.

"I may not be ready right now but we can keep having these conversations until then."

Noah smiles and cups my cheek.

"Thank you."

"Right now, I want to practice making babies with you." I smile.

Noah cheekily smiles.

"Practice does make perfect." He winks.

Noah grabs my hips and pulls me onto his lap. I twin my fingers through his hair and he trails his lips down my neck.