▸MARRY ME

MARRY ME

MARRY ME

March 2020

Chatter fills the church as the growing crowd of guests arrives. Nerves bubble in the pit of my stomach but their laughter and excitement to be at our wedding is oddly calming.

Maddison squeezes my sweaty hand and gives me a reassuring smile. I'm happy she's here but even Noah couldn't settle the nerves.

"Charlie, breathe, otherwise you're going to pass out."

I loudly inhale a breath and Maddison rolls her eyes.

"Are you having second thoughts about the wedding? As your bridesmaid, we can find a bar and drink until you forget about him. As your best friend, I'll drag you down that aisle because men like Noah only come once in a lifetime."

"Thank you, Maddison, but the only thing I'm having second thoughts about is the number of people I let Noah invite. I hate standing in front of people and I'm worried I'll jumble my words."

"You'll be fine." She chuckles.

"What if they're judging me because of..."

"Your female relatives, probably some of the men, are probably Googling how to divorce their husbands in five minutes and marry Noah."

"Oh, Maddison." I laugh.

"I'm serious, someone will volunteer themselves as tribute."

"Perhaps I would do the same if I were them."

"Do you feel better?"

I take another deep breath and nod.

"Thank you, Maddison." I grin.

Maddison pulls me away from the window, and we smile at each other until our cheeks hurt. I'm getting married. Oh my goodness, I can't believe I'm getting married to Noah.

"I'd call you crazy for getting married so quickly and young, but you two are perfect for each other. I hope I'm lucky enough to find somebody like him."

"If it wasn't for the time apart, we'd probably be on the couch watching tv." I sigh.

"Instead you're going to be Mrs. East." She squeals.

I take another breath but it does nothing to calm my erratic heartbeat. Maddison glances at her phone, then stashes it in her bag.

"It's time to get hitched unless..." She raises an eyebrow.

"No, this is what I want." I grin.

"Perfect answer."

Maddison hands me flowers and walks to the church doors. She shoots me one more smile before turning around. Dad appears from the side room and offers me his arm. I hook mine through his and smile.