▸WAVES

WAVES

WAVES

Wednesday, the 14th of February

There's more plants around Mum's grave but it's still the same from the last visit. We stand side by side and stare at the rock with her name etched into it. Waves crash in the background and fill the growing silence.

"We should go to the beach," Dad says.

"Are you serious?"

"I thought visiting her grave would do something, but I don't feel her presence and I don't feel comforted by a piece of rock."

"Can I take my surfboard?"

"I haven't seen you surf in a while."

"Are you hoping I'll face plant?" I gasp.

"You're running out of daylight." He chuckles.

I race to the car and he trails behind. There's no way I'm not taking full advantage of this opportunity because I have no idea when it'll happen again. I unstrap the board from the roof and he reluctantly follows me to the beach.

We take our shoes off and I smile as we wander across the soft sand. Dad finds a spot to sit and I leave my belongings with him. I race into the cool water and peer over my shoulder. He waves and I grin back.

I toss the board onto the water and jump on. Despite not surfing for months, it's like riding a bike. I paddle out to the breakpoint and watch for a perfect first wave.

On the third wave, I paddle out and catch the wave. The board whips through the water as I ride the wave. Towards the end, I leap into the water and float to the top. The rolling waves pull me out and I can't resist the call. Sometimes I swear the ocean is calling my name, like a siren to a pirate.

* * * * *

Water trickles down my body as I stride across the beach. The afternoon sun casts a warm glow but the breeze is getting nippy. I shove the board into the sand and plonk beside my father.

"You look like your mother when you surf."

"Everyone looks the same from here."

"You know what I mean." He playfully glares.

"You should come out before it's too dark."

"I can't surf."

"You just don't want to."

"True." He nods.

"Call me crazy, but sometimes when I'm out there, it feels like Mum's with me."