▸CRUSHES

CRUSHES

CRUSHES

Monday, the 12th of March

A warm breeze blows through my hair as I wander outside. I abruptly halt to a stop when I locate Jewels sitting across from Percy. Samantha loudly groans and shakes her head.

"Why is she talking to Percy?"

"Her mother told mine that Jewels wants Percy to be her date for this pageant she's participating in."

"Can't she find someone else?"

Samantha grabs my arm and pulls me to the side.

"You're forgetting that Jewels and Percy were supposed to get married. Our mothers are best friends. They survived college together, had kids together and Lea had hoped that Percy would marry one of us."

"That's not weird at all." I raise an eyebrow. "Why aren't you expected to marry Percy?"

Samantha bursts into laughter.

"When we were about five-years-old, Percy pushed me into a puddle of mud whilst I was wearing my new dress. In return, I pushed Percy over a tree log and told him he smelt like a dirty skunk."

"A dirty skunk?" I chuckle.

"Ever since that day, my mother gave up on us being a thing. Now it's to get into an amazing college and find an amazing man to give me children."

"I'm glad she's abandoned that idea then."

"Percy is an attractive man, but not for me, I've seen every awkward stage of his life."

"Fair enough." I laugh.

"Jewels has loved Percy forever, and I think she always will. Be careful of her."

"Thanks for the warning."

Percy frowns at Jewels as she tries to reach for his hand. I don't want to disturb their private conversation, so I tug on a smile and look at Samantha.

"What's the criteria for your future husband?"

"Be Noah East." She laughs. "Noah's like Percy's older brother. I've had a small crush on him for awhile and when he returned from college to teach, I realised he's the man for me, even if he doesn't know it yet."

"What happens when you go to college?"

"I hope that when I visit in the summer, he won't look at me like Percy's childhood friend. I hoped planning all these events would bring us closer together."

"Perhaps there's another Noah East in college waiting for you."

"You should save your man before she eats him alive."

"I should." I chuckle.

Samantha waves goodbye and I wander over to Percy. I sit beside him and he wraps his arm around my waist, snuggling me to his side.