▸[PART TWENTY-TWO] BIRTHDAY

[PART TWENTY-TWO] BIRTHDAY

N:50 C:44 A:23 H:21 L:19 C:14

2044

Lydia weaves through the crowd and hands her present to Noah. He takes the box and tugs her into a hug. She pushes him back to arm's length and frowns. Her blue-green eyes are brooding with annoyance.

"Happy Birthday, now what the hell is the important news about?" She folds her arms and quickly taps her foot against the ground.

"Thank you for the present but you have to wait like everyone else."

"Just tell me! I spent the whole morning driving here from college. Are you sick? Is Mum sick? I've spent the entire week stressing about this."

"I promise that we're not sick. In fact, everyone is fine and this happy news."

"Are you having a surprise baby? I don't mind if we have another little brother or sister but this waiting thing is killing me."

"No, your mother isn't pregnant. You four are expensive enough. I don't know how I could possibly afford another child."

"Then what's the news?" Her nostrils flare with anger.

"Be patient, Lydia."

Lydia swirls around, her blonde hair flying through the air. She storms over to her siblings and talks to them. The three shrugs their shoulders and look at us.

I wrap my arm around his waist and rest my head on his chest. My heart thuds and my hands shake. I haven't been able to sleep properly because I'm terrified of their reaction.

Noah cups my face and rubs his thumb over my cheek. His green eyes bore into mine in a way which brings some comfort.

"Are you sure we should be doing this? I could tear the contract and pretend like it never existed. I'm so scared, Noah."

He kisses the end of my nose and smiles.

"Don't worry about it. I'll handle things with the children. You deserve this opportunity."

"Okay, thank you." I nod.

"Can you get the cake ready? I think it might be wise to do it now before Lydia grows anymore impatient."

"Yes, I'll be back in five." I nod.

He kisses my cheek and then I wander into the kitchen.

I take the cake from the fridge and place the candles on top. Ashton walks in and grabs the lighter from the drawer.

"Please Mum, what's the big secret?"

"Your father will tell you soon."

"You look pale. Are you sick?"