▸OCEAN AIR

OCEAN AIR

OCEAN AIR

Monday the 20th of November

Rays of warm sunshine cast across my face and Maddison's bony finger pokes my shoulder. I slap her hand away and she groan.

"Wake up."

"Go away."

"Promises were made, Charlie."

"We drank a lot last night. I probably promised a lot of things I don't plan on doing."

"Charlie Landon." She growls.

Maddison's vibrant blue eyes bore into mine and her blonde eyebrows knit together. Black eyeliner is smudged under her eyes and her hair is wound into a messy bun on top of her head.

"What's so important that you're this upset?"

"You promised we'd take Percy surfing this morning. Plus there's something else which didn't make sense. Of course, you weren't walking by this point so maybe it doesn't mean anything."

I press my face into the pillow and groan. I know I shouldn't take shots but drunk me apparently knows much better than sober me.

"What else did I say?"

"Something about a romantic getaway? Are you going with Percy?"

Oh boy! Charlie, what the hell where you doing last night? I inhale a deep breath and roll to the side. Maddison nibbles on her lower lip while my eyes struggle to stay open from the bright morning light.

"I was probably dreaming about a hot dude whisking me away from my problems." I chuckle.

"So you and Percy are over?"

"Yes." I nod. "Do you like Percy?"

Maddison leaps off the bed and I race after her.

"You can't run far, this apartment isn't that big."

She races into the kitchen and hides behind the fridge. I peer around the door and raise an eyebrow. Maddison takes the orange juice carton and twirls around.

"Go change, daylight is fading."

"Just admit you have feelings for Percy and I'll change."

"We're friends, though."

"Percy and I aren't like that, I'm also not that friend who will stand in the way of destiny. If you have feelings for Percy, you should go for it. I give you my blessing."