▸DINNER

DINNER

DINNER

Friday, the 23rd of February

Samantha steps in front of us before we can escape to our final class for the week. Percy's grip tightens on his backpack while I hold onto my laughter.

"Can you please change his mind about the carnival? I think the auction would be the best thing at the carnival. We would raise so much money for the school."

"Why can't you pick something else?"

"Please asks, I've already put so much planning into the booth and the cheerleaders are so excited for it." Samantha's eyes shimmer with hope.

"I can ask, but don't expect a different answer."

"Thank you, Percy."

Percy steps around Samantha and I chase after him. He drapes his arm over my shoulders and we wander to the classroom.

"Uncle Noah won't change his mind."

"Perhaps I can change his mind."

"Aren't you worried about Jarrod buying your date?"

"Samantha wouldn't let that happen. If we do something else, I'm afraid she'll ask us to do something crazy, like when we had to hand cut all those snowflakes. I just want to have fun."

Percy opens the door to the woodwork classroom and I step inside. Some students are already working on their projects when we arrive. We place our bags to the side and Noah waves me into the office.

"Good luck." Percy smiles.

I wander into the office and sweetly smile. When Noah doesn't return the smile, I plonk into the computer chair and frown.

"What's wrong?"

"We need to speak about your grades."

"I have something else to discuss."

"What is it?"

"Samantha really wants those carnival plans approved and so do I. We'll make so much money at that booth and I won't have to waste the night doing something else."

"I can't slide her plans through without all the faculty agreeing on it. Due to some concerns, I don't think her idea will be approved."

"Is that because you brought up certain concerns?"

Noah doesn't say anything which confirms my suspicions.

"Samantha would never allow that considering everything that's happened so far."

"I don't trust anyone when it comes to your safety."

"Please reconsider for me?"

"If those plans are approved, Samantha has asked me to build a stage for the booth."