▸SURPRISE

SURPRISE

SURPRISE

Saturday, the 27th of January

Snow sprinkles from the sky and coats the grass in another layer of it. I've now joined the group that hates snow, in fact, I might be the president. It's slippery, wet and cold, a terrible combination if you ask me.

"Can you come downstairs, Charlie?" Dad shouts.

I tear my gaze away from the window and grumble under my breath. There's no way I'm leaving these warm blankets unless the house is on fire or there's food.

"If this is about the washing machine, press the biggest button."

"This isn't about the washing machine."

"This better be good if I'm required to leave my bed."

"Just come downstairs already."

I flip the blanket off and slide out of bed. The cold air sends a shiver shooting down my spine as I wander to the stairs. As I wander down them, I realise there's somebody standing behind him.

"What's happening?" I frown.

"Surprise!" Dad steps aside and reveals Maddison who's dressed in an oversized winter coat.

"What the fuck?" I gasp. "You two planned this behind my back?"

"Yup." Maddison smiles. "I thought I'd come and see what it's like on the other side of the world. It's so fucking cold, though. Playing in the snow is so unappealing and you know how much I've always wanted to make a snowman."

"Don't get me started on how cold it is." I shake my head. "How long are you staying for?"

"Just a week."

I wander down the rest of the stairs and grab Maddison's shoulders and subtly shake her. She raises her eyebrow while I contine to peer at her.

"I just can't believe you're here."

"Believe it because I am."

"I should leave you two alone, but before I do that, pizza for dinner?"

"Yes." Mads nods.

"Can you order dessert too?"

"Okay." Dad nods.

He wanders into the lounge room and I take Maddison's suitcase and yank it up the stairs. I slide it into my bedroom and kick a pair of undies towards the wardrobe. I wish there was some kind of hint so I could have cleaned my bedroom a little.

Maddison flops onto my bed and snuggles into the pillow.

"Ah, comfort."