▸DANCE COMMITTEE

DANCE COMMITTEE

DANCE COMMITTEE

Thursday the 28th of November

The transition from dream holiday with Noah, to high school a million miles away from the ocean isn't glamourous but it comes with a second-hand car which bridges the gap between me and sweet freedom.

I can't believe I have a car, my very own car. I'm driving straight to Noah's after school because it's insane how much I miss him and his warm body. I could wear ten thick layers of clothing and still feel like I'm standing in a blizzard dressed in summer clothing.

I swing into a parking bay and tear myself out the car. I huddle under my thickest coat and trek towards school. I sigh with relief as I enter the building and escape the icy wind.

Percy is leaning against a locker dribbling shit to whatever girl will listen to it.

"I'm a natural surfer." He grins.

I keep my head down and slip past Percy to avoid endorsing any of his wild stories.

The bell rings on the way to my locker, so I turn around and walk to homeroom. I dump my bag beside the desk and slump into the chair. Percy saunters into the room and lounges on a plastic chair beside me.

"What's your bet that we'll have to write a paper about our holiday?" Percy laughs. "Our teacher is so predictable."

"Can't we be optimistic and say we won't have homework?"

"You're dreaming if you think that'll happen."

The door opens and an older woman with grey hair wanders in with an arm full of paper. She drops the paper on the desk with a thud and unbuttons her woolly winter jacket.

"Unfortunately your English teacher was in a skiing accident. I will be teaching the class until they recover. You can call me Mrs. Greene."

"I hope I'm wrong." Percy grins.

"Your teacher left a list of reading topics and assignments for you to complete."

"I think you spoke too soon." I frown.

We slump against our chairs and sigh; our vacation is officially over.

"Your first task is to write a paper about your holiday. It could be about self-discovery or a turmoil you've faced. This paper is due on Friday, no exceptions."

Some people grumble, myself included.

"You can have this class to work on it."

Mrs. Greene settles behind the desk, flipping through the large stack of paperwork. Percy taps a pen on the desk and I shoot him a glare.