▸MEETINGS

MEETINGS

MEETINGS

I glance between the door, my phone and the television. Dad lounges on the chair sipping his beer and watching a catch-up episode of something sport-related.

"Can you sit down before you wear a hole into the floor?"

"Noah should be here now, why isn't he here?"

"There's a number of factors, like-"

There's a knock on the front door, so I leap up and yank the door open. I want to hide in Noah's arms and slam the door all at the same time. What if Dad doesn't like Noah?

"Hey, Charlie." He waves. "Are you going to let me in?"

It's too late to run away, so I step aside and Noah walks inside. He closes the door and rubs my back which doesn't help my uneven breathing.

"Take a deep breath, everything will be okay," he whispers.

I stare into his beautiful olive green eyes and take a deep breath.

Whatever happens, happens, I can't control everything.

He turns the television off and wanders into the entryway. Noah offers his hand and the pair shake before smiling.

"It's great to finally meet you, Noah."

"Same to you, Mr. Landon."

"Charlie told me you've played college football."

"I was on track to take my career pro, but I discovered my passion for teaching. I've been coaching Percy and the school team this year, so it's been nice to dabble back into the game. I take it you're a fan?"

"Football is my favourite sport. Percy is a skilled player, you've done well coaching him."

"Thanks! I hope to continue coaching, perhaps enter college-level sometime in the future."

"I like this man, Charlie."

"So do I." I smile.

"Come into the lounge room and take a seat. I want to hear about your college plans."

Noah just about drags me into the lounge room which has the pair chuckling.

"We've found a nice house twenty minutes from the beach. I'm waiting for Percy to respond before proceeding with it. Noah has secured a job at a local high school teaching sport."

"You're living with Percy too?"

"We needed another person's income to find a better place. Also, it's Percy, so he'll just stay with us anyway. Least he has an actual bedroom at this place."

"Fair enough." He nods.

"This place is really nice and open planned. We'll even have enough place to create a study space for us."

"Do you need help moving?"

"Yes, plus it would be nice for you to come and see our new place."

"I'd love to."

"Thanks, Dad." I smile.

We slip into an awkward silence which makes me want to be swallowed by the cushions on the chair.

"Can you address the elephant in the room before it crushes me?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Do not play innocent with me."

"Does this mean I'm allowed to make my father speech?"

"Yes." I nod.

"Don't hurt my daughter, I've taught her all the moves I know."

"There's nothing I wouldn't do to keep your daughter safe. I know we're young, but she really is the love of my life."

He smiles and nods with approval. I take this as my cue to stand up and tug Noah towards the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Dad questions.

"Now that you've met and you've done your speech, we're heading upstairs before I have an actual heart attack."

Dad laughs as I pull Noah up the stairs and into my room. Noah inspects the room while I take a seat on my bed.

"I wasn't expecting your bedroom to look like this."

"Like a mess?"

"Just everything." He shrugs. "I like the miss-matched style, it suits you well."

"It's usually cleaner but I thought I'd make a head start on the packing since last time it took forever to do. I don't want that stress again."

Noah shrugs and smiles. "I like it."

He moves beside the bed and I stand beside him. He hooks one arm around my waist and cups my cheek with the other. I brush my nose against his before kissing his warm lips.

"I'm so happy he likes you." I grin.

"I'm lucky we have sports in common, otherwise I'd have to sprinkle some of my Noah East charm on him."

"Noah East charm, what does that look like?" I laugh.

"Thankfully you'll never have to know."

Noah brings our lips back together and I wrap my arms around his neck. We press our foreheads against each other and I smile.

"What should we do after graduation?"

"Move to California as soon as possible?"

"I love the idea of spending every day of our summer lounging on the beach together."

"What about our relationship? I don't think telling anyone is a good idea. Perhaps we can wait some time until other's find out otherwise it might be suspicious."

"Once we're in California, we won't have to worry about hiding our relationship."

"Are scared about what people will think?"

"Sometimes the idea of their opinion scares me, but when I think about it, I would never change our story because I love you so much, Charlie."

"And I love you so much!"

I squeeze Noah in a tight hug and then take a step back and survey the room. The boxes remind me of the time I first moved in and how much things have changed since then.

If somebody asked me at the beginning of the school year what I'd be doing now, I'd laugh at the thought of moving to college with my woodwork teacher.