▸CATCH UPS

CATCH UPS

CATCH UPS

November 2021

The phone rings and I quickly accept the video call from Madison. The connection is weak and the picture is fuzzy for a moment, then it clears up and shows an angry Madison tapping on the screen. Behind her in the kitchen is Percy cooking something on the stove.

"Hello, can you hear me?" She taps again, then shoots it a glare. "Percy, I don't understand what's wrong with this thing."

"Mads, I can hear you," I shout, giving her the thumbs up.

"Oh thank goodness." She sighs. "Hey Charlie, how are you?"

"I'm good but I've missed you guys so much."

"We miss you too Charlie." She pouts.

"How's the new apartment though? Have you moved everything into it?"

"We have two more boxes and some decorating, then we'll be good for a virtual grand tour!"

"I can't wait to see it!"

"What's new with you? How's Noah?"

"There's nothing too new here." I sigh. "College is still boring but it's the first game of the football season tonight and I'm going to watch Noah coach his team. He's very excited for me to come. I'm not keen on the weather, though."

"Sounds like so much fun! I would love the cold weather right about now, not looking forward to Summer. However, Christmas in the snow sounds pretty good to me." She winks.

"What does that mean? Are you spending Christmas here?" I gasp.

"Yes." She bounces with excitement. "It's a tight squeeze with money because of the new apartment, but we can't wait to spend the holiday with you guys."

"You don't have to worry about accommodation since you'll be staying with Noah and I."

"Thank you."

"How's the promotion treating you?"

"I love my new job role, but managing people is stressful."

"Give it some time and it'll get easier." I smile.

"Percy, come and say hi."

"Hey," he shouts over his shoulder.

"What's so important he can't say a proper hi." I raise an eyebrow.

Madison glances at Percy and slyly smiles.

"He has a girl coming over tonight. He promised me a cooked meal if I leave the apartment for a couple of hours."

"Wait! A girl or girlfriend?" I gasp.

"Madison." He warns.

She bites her bottom lip and rolls her eyes.