▸CHRISTMAS DINNER

CHRISTMAS DINNER

CHRISTMAS DINNER

Monday, the 25th of December

Noah curses under his breath as we arrive at Percy's house. We park near the other cars and I take his hand once the car is turned off. I lace my fingers through his and kiss his knuckles.

"Should I pretend to be Percy's friend?"

"I don't think it's wise to introduce you as my girlfriend to Lea's in-laws."

"It's probably a good idea and let's hope they don't stay long." I smile.

"Can I throw them out if they stay too long? I can't keep my hands off you."

"Or we could eat and leave? I don't have to be home until later tonight."

"I like this idea." He grins.

Noah leans over the console and kisses my forehead. We reluctantly step outside and I race around the car to cling onto Noah's warm hand. He guides me up the stairs and ensures I don't end up sliding down the driveway from the slippery ice.

He opens the door and we're greeted by music, warmth and chatter. Percy is seated on the couch we made out on and there's two people lingering in the dining room. Lea appears with a cheery smile which strains as our eyes meet.

"Merry Christmas." I choke out.

"Why are your in-laws here? I thought you hated them?"

"They invited themselves over yesterday." She sighs. "I hope they leave once we eat."

"I hope so." Noah nods.

Lea wanders back to the kitchen while Noah looks between me and somewhere else.

"Don't worry about me, I'll sit with Percy." I smile.

Noah nods and wanders into another room. I sit beside Percy and he half sighs as I place my things beside the couch.

"Merry Christmas, Charlie."

"Same to you, Percy."

Mrs. East – otherwise Granny – or my soon-to-be-mother-in-law sits across us. I'm not sure what to call her.

"Charlie." She gasps. "It's wonderful to see you again."

"Thanks, lovely to see you!" I smile.

Granny peeks to the side then scowls.

"Hi, Martha." She waves with the biggest smile. "Who invited that gold digging whore?"

I almost choke on my laugher while Percy grins.

"Welcome to the family."

"Dinner is ready!" Lea calls.

We enter the dining room and take our seats. Percy's parents are on either ends of the table, while Mr and Mrs East are on the left of Lea. Martha and her husband sit on either side of Percy's father, leaving Noah next to his Dad and Percy and I across from Mr and Mrs East.