▸GOODBYE

GOODBYE

GOODBYE

Monday, the 5th of February

Maddison stumbles into my bedroom and falls onto the bed. I poke her shoulder and chuckle as she presses herself further into the blanket.

"How was your last night with Percy? I hope ditching your best friend was worth it," I tease.

She rolls to the side and wraps her arm around my waist.

"Spending the night with Percy made me realise this was a nice holiday, but I don't think it could be anything more than that."

"I had a feeling." I sigh.

"I'm a free spirit and our lives are changing so much! There's no point being tied down to someone I might not see for a couple of years."

"I'm lucky Noah would move to support me."

"It has nothing to do with luck, it's all about love. You moved to America for love, Noah will move to Australia or wherever you want to go, for love. We're not in love, maybe a little hormonal, but that's fine because we haven't know each other for long."

"How is Percy taking things?"

"I think he's okay, probably a little sad, but okay."

"Is he going to school today?"

"Yes, so when you see him, can you check on him? I still care for him as a friend."

"I'll make sure he's okay."

"Thanks, Charlie."

"I can't believe you're going." I frown.

"Come and visit me, the both of you."

"I'll do my best."

"We can teach him how to surf. I can't believe your boyfriend doesn't know how to surf."

"Don't remind me." I laugh.

"I should probably pack my suitcase." Mads rolls her eyes.

"Come on, I'll help you."

Mads pulls me out of bed and I straighten the blanket so we can place the suitcase on it. She tries to stuff all her clothes into it while I neatly fold them.

Another adventure in Australia would be nice. I would love to be back in the water and away from this cold weather.

* * * * *

Saying goodbye to Maddison is hard, but not as hard as Noah watching me sand wood with sandpaper. I refuse to step near the machines because I know I will lose a finger or two. You can't re-attach a finger if you've sanded it away.