▸LITTLE HUMAN

LITTLE HUMAN

LITTLE HUMAN

October 2022

Soft snores escape his parted lips, I brush my thumb over his chubby cheeks and sigh. He makes a groaning noise and his fingers curl into a little ball. Noah parks the car in the driveway then turns to me and smiles.

"How's our little man doing back there?"

"Just perfect." I grin. "Too damn perfect which is making me worried."

I'm worried that if he sleeps now, he's going to spend half the night screaming. I hate it when he cries, I just want him to be a happy baby.

"Don't worry, he's just like his momma." Noah smiles. "Are you ready to go inside or do you want another minute?"

"I'm scared to move him." I bite my lip. "What if I break him, he's so tiny and fragile?"

"Remember what the nurse said? You're doing amazing, so don't doubt yourself."

I take a deep breath and nod.

"Okay, I'm ready to head inside."

"Give me a second, I'll open your door." Noah leaps out and races around. Since he's making the effort, I sit back and stare at our little bubba. The door opens and I softly unclick the seatbelt and slide out.

Noah cups my cheek and gently kisses my lips. I rest against his chest and take another deep breath. I hope he's tired enough that he won't notice that we're moving him out of the car.

He unclips the capsule and hooks the bags over his shoulder. I lace my fingers together and bite my lip with worry. Noah manages to close the door and lock the vehicle, but he's hands are very full.

"Are you sure I can't help you with anything? I carried that little guy around for nine months, I'm confident I can handle the nappy bag."

"The doctor told you to rest, and you've been doing all the work, so let me help you."

"Okay." I nod. "I won't do anything."

Noah laughs. "Cheeky, I like it."

"That's what you say now." I wink. "Then you'll be begging me to change a nappy."

I manage to take the keys from Noah and open the front door. As I step inside, something blurs past my vision, then two people leap out of nowhere. A scream ripples through the air and I leap back.

"Surprise?" Lea comments.

"Oh boy, I almost pissed myself." I place my hand over my heart and take a deep breath.

"I told you not to do that." Noah shakes his head.

"See, I told you it was a bad idea," Granny comments.

"I love the decorations, though." I smile.

There's a 'Welcome Home, Baby Boy' written across a blue and silver banner, and a couple of foil balloons with 'It's a boy' and 'congratulations.'