▸CONCERT

CONCERT

CONCERT

February 2019

Maddison squeals with excitement as 'Jimmy Recard' by Drapht plays on the speaker. She sways her hips and pours a splash of vodka into our glasses. I hand her the lemonade and she busts out the opening rap.

I take a long sip and wrinkle my nose as the vodka burns my throat. We go to sing the chorus but the music stops and my phone rings. Maddison pouts but decides to rap it anyway.

Noah's incoming video call has me smiling like a madwoman. I accept the call and disconnect from the speaker. Maddison peers over my shoulder and waves to Noah.

"Hi, Noah," she calls before wandering over to the speaker to connect her phone.

"Hey, baby, what's up?"

"You have the Drapht concert tonight, hey? I just remembered as I called you. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, call me whenever." I smile.

Maddison puts the music back on and I prop the phone against the vodka bottle.

"Now you can join our dance party while we wait for Percy. The plane recently landed, so he should be here soon enough."

"Percy messaged to say he's on his way now," Maddison comments.

"I can't wait to surprise Percy with the concert. He's going to freak out once he realises we're seeing Drapht live." I bounce with excitement.

"Percy was blissfully unaware when I spoke to him before," says Noah.

"Thank goodness." Maddison sighs with relief.

"How was your week?"

"We don't have to talk about my week, it was boring." Noah chuckles.

"But I like hearing about your week."

Maddison points to her mouth and pretends to puke. I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"You look so beautiful," Noah compliments. "Percy better shoo off anyone who tries talking to you."

"You should wish them luck because there's no chance I'm interested in anyone else, even when you're a million miles away from me. It's just you and me."

"You and me, baby." He chuckles.

"Can we take a moment to appreciate this outfit though? I forgot how much I hate dressing up and going out. Thank goodness it's all for good music and food."

"You look amazing in anything, but geezes Charlie, I hate that I'm a million miles away from you right now."

"Gross but cute, it's kinda annoying as well." Mads shakes her head.

The buzzer in the apartment rings and Maddison's face lights up. She races to the front door while I remain in the kitchen.

"Maddison continues to deny her feelings about Percy, and I just know I'm going to be the third wheel with these two tonight." I sigh with a roll to my eyes.