▸FUTURE

FUTURE

FUTURE

Water trickles down my thighs and sand sticks to my feet as I wander to our belongings. Maddison shoves her surfboard into the sand and sprawls across her crumpled towel. I press the home button on my phone and frown at the lack of missed calls.

"Don't stress, you've only just met with these surfing companies. It takes time before anything serious happens."

"I know but I don't have much time before I leave."

The phone vibrates in my hand and Maddison rolls her eyes. I answer the call and wander back to the shoreline to paddle my feet through the water.

"Hi, this is Charlie."

"Hey Charlie, it's Peter from Surf & Co, how are you?"

"I'm wonderful, how about yourself?"

"I'm great, thanks."

"That's good." I bite my lip and smack my forehead. I don't know what to say in return but anything could have been better than that response.

"We'd love for you to join our team! If you're interested in the position, I'll have a contract drafted and sent to you. We'll also include some new merchandise until we can customise your look."

"Thank you, Peter. I'm still interested in the position. I'll review the contract and let you know how I decide as soon as possible."

"No worries, I look forward to your answer."

"Thanks, bye."

I leap into the air and hug the phone to my chest.

"What happened?" Maddison shouts as she sprints across the beach.

"Surf & Co have offered me a position on their team. I haven't accepted it yet, but they'll send a contract through."

"Oh, that's amazing." Mads forces a smile and I frown.

"What's wrong?"

"Are you sure this is a good idea? What about Noah?"

"I told you, they support my decision to follow surfing."

"What about your relationship or school? I love this opportunity for you, but Noah is an amazing man and I don't want you to lose him. Is trading the opportunity to be Mrs. East to stand alone on a surfboard worth it?"

"He wouldn't ask me to give up on this."

"You're asking him to uproot his entire life, though."

"I wish things were easier." I frown.

"Just think about everything before you make any crazy decisions."

No matter the decision, I'll be sacrificing something.

* * * * *

Noah stands by the entrance of the beach and I wave as I approach him. He takes the picnic basket and grunts at the unexpected weight of it.

"What did you pack?"

"Maddison only has glass containers, so the basket is super heavy." I frown.

"Well, at least she's environmentally conscious."

"I suppose." I nod.

He laces his fingers through mine and we wander across the beach. There's a warm glow of light from the buildings on the coast which creates enough lighting for a romantic picnic.

We find the perfect spot which has enough light and space away from other people. I spread the blanket and flick my thongs to the side. Noah puts the basket down and unpacks the many dishes.

"Thank you for the picnic, Charlie."

"I'm sorry for everything."

"Don't be sorry for having a dream or wanting to chase it. I want you to have everything you want in life. If that means surfing, then you should do it."

"I love you."

"Have you heard back from anyone?"

"I was offered a spot on the Surf & Co team."

"I'm so proud of you."

"I turned it down because it won't work. I also realised I don't need to professionally surf, I just need to live by the coast."

"We'll make this work. Call and accept the offer."

"Can you let me chose you? I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"Is this what you really want? We can make a long-distance relationship work."

"Yes, but promise we'll always live near the beach!"

"I can promise that." He nods.

"Great, thank you."

He kisses my forehead and I sigh with relief. I have no idea where life will take me but with him by my side, I don't mind where it goes.