▸ THOUGHTS

THOUGHTS

THOUGHTS

Wednesday the 25th of September

Dad opens the door before I can race down the stairs. Percy's cheeks turn red as he awkwardly waves at us. Dad tilts his head to the side and chuckles.

"You're back and wearing a coconut bra."

"Um, Dad, I thought you'd be at work by now."

"I'm working late tonight."

"Oh." I bite my lip.

Dad spins around and frowns.

"You're not leaving the house in that, Charlie."

"It's for our senior float, we're doing a beach theme."

"You could wear a wet suit, that's beach theme." He smiles.

"Please don't make me do that, Samantha and Annika are counting on me."

Dad crosses his arms and sighs.

"Enjoy Homecoming."

"Thank you, Dad."

We escape to the car and burst into laughter. Percy cranks the engine and we zoom towards the school. Percy's wearing board shorts under the grass skirt and the coconut bra without a shirt.

Samantha was right about this costume choice because Percy looks amazing without a shirt on. He's just as muscular as Noah. Damn it. I shouldn't be thinking about Noah.

Percy parks the car and we grab out bags and walks to school. Percy catches my hand and he squeezes my fingers.

The final decorations have gone up and the school hallways look awesome, and for once I won't get lost searching for a classroom.

The seniors are grouped in our hallway dressed in beach gear, someone even has a surf board and inflatable pool toys.

"I've seen the competition and we're going to win." Samantha smiles confidently.

Once the senior class arrive, we take pictures in the hallway before going to the gym for assembly. Percy ditches his football friends to sit with Annika, Samantha and I.

The principle goes through the announcements before finally moving to the good stuff.

"Thank you to everyone who helped with the hallways, it was a stuff competition this year." Samantha rolls her eyes and laughs. "Without further to do, the seniors win with the beach theme."

'Woohoo' is cheered as the seniors bask in the glory of winning.

"If you'll all be quiet, let's move to your Homecoming court." The noise instantly stops and Samantha grabs my hand for support. "Your Homecoming court includes Samantha Pontian, Jewels Carter, Annika Thia and Tayler Wood. For the guys, Percy East, Junior Williams, Ben Jones and Leighton Brown."