▸ENCOUNTERS

ENCOUNTERS

ENCOUNTERS

November 2020

Nothing inside this notebook makes sense and the bustle of the cafe doesn't help my brain think. There's diagrams, big words and explanations that don't really explain anything. I tap my pen against the edge of the page and sigh. How am I going to complete this assignment for next week?

I place my head on my arms and stretch out. The ache in my lower back subsides as I move from my slouched position. I can't look at this book for another moment, so I muster up the strength to close the book. Now it can't taunt me with it's stupid big words.

"I wish I could throw you in a fire and dance as you burn," I grumble.

Except that would be expensive but honestly worth it. I return the book to the shelf and pack the remainder of my belongings into my backpack. I check the time and internally groan. I still have another ten minutes until I meet Annika for coffee.

I stare at the rows of books and tilt my head to the side. I hope studying physical therapy is the right choice because I don't want another failed career.

"Hey Charlie." I turn around and gasp.

Jarrod places a stack of books on the desk and taps his finger.

His smile is friendly, but that doesn't counteract the need to escape.

"Hi Jarrod."

His appearance hasn't changed much, except for the buzz cut and scruffy beard.

"Samantha didn't mention you moved back to America."

"I'm not surprised." I chuckle. "She probably has my picture on a dartboard."

Jarrod raises an eyebrow.

I can almost see the questions circling around his mind, but I hope he doesn't ask me about it. Annika's probing later will be enough for me.

"It was um, I should go, Annika is waiting for me."

"Wait, I know this is random and I don't mean to upset you, but I always hoped we would run into each other so I could tell you about my progress. I decided to join a therapy group for my issues and I met a woman who loves me enough to help me through everything."

I brush some hair behind my ear and smile.

"There's nothing I can do to remove the pain and trouble I've caused, but I at least thought that if you knew I was working on my issues, perhaps that would do something."

"You're getting help and moving on with your life, that's all I need to hear."

If Jarrod can turn his life around, then there's hope for Samantha. Perhaps she can join him in therapy and discuss her issues as well.