▸[PART TWENTY] COLLEGE

[PART TWENTY] COLLEGE

N: 46 C:40 A:19 H:17 L:15 C:10

June 2040

Tears trickle down my cheek as I place Ashton's clothing into a box. He tugs me into a hug and kisses my forehead.

"You don't need to cry," he mumbles.

Lydia rolls her eyes as she takes another box from the floor.

"He's moving ten minutes away, you can still see him every day if you really want."

Ashton shoots Lydia a glare which makes her laugh.

"Don't worry, little sis, I can still take care of you from college."

"Ugh, why couldn't you move to another state like everyone else?" she shouts.

Lydia storms out of the room and Ashton bursts into laughter. I wrap my arms around his body and squish him to my chest.

"I promise to come home on the weekends."

"I'm going to miss you like crazy!"

"Same here, Mum." He smiles.

Ashton wanders back to his desk and continues cleaning it. His high school stuff is thrown into a box for burning while the stuff he wants to take is placed into another box.

Noah enters the room with a smile. He places his hand on my shoulder and sighs when he sees me. I lean against his chest and nuzzle my face into the crook of his neck.

"Bub, it's going to be okay! I promise to keep an eye on Ashton. Beer on the weekends, energy drinks during the week."

"Noah!" I gasp. "You are not giving our child alcohol."

"He's nineteen, he can drink if he wants to."

"Ashton's still a baby, of course, he can't!"

Noah cups my cheek and kisses my nose.

"You should go downstairs, Cora needs some help with something."

"Fine." I sniffle. "I can see where I'm not wanted."

I wander downstairs and find Cora in the kitchen making a snack. I slide onto the stool and rest my arms against the bench.

"Do you need some help?"

She shakes her head and continues spreading butter on the piece of toast. I sigh with dismay which makes her smile.

"You don't have to be sad about Ashton going to collect, you still have us three."

"I am happy for him, it's just hard." I bite my lip.

"We'll always need you, no matter where we are, what we're doing."