Dragged into wars

ALISHA

Yesterday night was nothing like we had ever expected. I was practically half asleep as I walked out of the house and met everyone below a tree. It was particularly hot today, but then when isn’t it in the Middle East?

“Morning.” I sat down picking up an apple from the fruit basket. It was good to have a few days off and finding something nice to do every single day. Nothing flamboyant like partying at high end lounges, but just simple things like this- a picnic breakfast.

“Good morning.” Malaika and my brothers smiled back at me and my eyes instantly scanned for Rosalie, Adrian and their father.

“They’ll be here soon.” Sohail snickered at me and I blushed.

“So, she can blush!” Arbaaz stated acting awed and everyone cracked with laughter. Even I chuckled, because I knew what it was like. I never blushed, and now I just went blushing whenever anyone mentioned Adrian.

“My girl’s being bullied.” Adrian ruffled my hair and sat down, Rosalie sitting on his lap.

“Do not touch my hair.” I warned and he raised his hands in mock surrender.

“Yeah, only I reserve that right.” Salman nudged me and I smiled. Yes, only he could play with my hair because it had a weird soothing effect on me. Anyone else and I would explode like an atom bomb.

“So what can I touch?” Adrian asked and all the activity came to a sudden stop. I gawked at him and my brothers looked like they were ready to torture him to death, slowly.

“That sounded…wrong on so many levels.” Malaika scrunched her nose and Adrian shook his head rapidly.

“No, I meant nothing like that. No..I just…I meant…” he stammered around to explain himself and I burst out laughing. I was pretty sure he didn’t mean it in the wrong way, I knew he would respect the boundaries we had set.

“If I see you say anything close to that ever again…” Sohail left the sentence hanging in the air, and trust me it was more than effective in delivering the message. He went pale, stiff and looked like he’d seen some ghost.

“Leave him alone, don’t bully him now.” Malaika defended Adrian and I was thankful. They would have chopped him alive if it weren’t for me, her and Arhaan sitting here.

Suddenly, Salman’s phone rang up and he ignored the call. No PR team was entertained when we were on vacation, definitely not while we were having family time. He ignored two calls, and suddenly Sohail’s and my phone went off. We exchanged glances, wondering what was wrong. The entire staff knew not to disturb us during this time of the year, and they calling us so desperately meant something was either wonderfully amazing or terribly wrong.

“Pick it up.” Arbaaz nodded at last and I picked up the phone.

“Hello?” I asked, though I knew it was out PR head.

“Thank God I got to you straight away. How are you holding up?”

“What’s wrong with me?” I asked, confused. I was perfectly fine for a welcome change. Except yesterday’s little problem, there was nothing wrong with me or anyone else here, definitely nothing they should be worried about.

“Can I talk to one of your brothers?” he asked, and I knew something was wrong that very instant. He was not going to not tell me and ask to talk to one of my brothers.

“No, what’s wrong?” I pressed harder for the details, but Sohail swiftly snatched the phone away from me and walked till the other end of the lawn. I couldn’t hear him, but I knew something was very wrong. He was stealing nervous glances at us huddled in a group, too afraid to talk.