Time off

ALISHA

If I had a choice, I wouldn’t have gone to school. I just wanted to be in my bed, lazing around, trying to sort things out in my life. But I really didn’t have a choice. I had assignments due, tests and some important chapters I needed to attend class for.

I was silent for most of the day, not talking much. My friends knew, they gave me my space. I sat in the library, reading or whiling time away on the laptop. Even my family knew, they didn’t press for me to join them for parties and events. Nobody pressured me into anything for almost a week, and I was thankful.

After lots of thinking and re-thinking, I had come to a few conclusions.

First, the terrorists’ being dead was good. I was going to look at it like justice was served, like the right thing happened. They deserved death, and even though they didn’t go through all the pain we went through, the family of the dead people had some consolation. We had some consolation, and I could finally come to terms with it.

Second, I was ready to say goodbye to my gymnastics career. I wouldn’t give up training, learning, because I loved gymnastics. Yes, I wanted the Olympics, but some things didn’t work out in your favor. If the USAG refused, I was ready to give up on my dream. I had braced myself. I knew it would hurt, I knew the time would almost kill me, but I was determined to get through it.

Third, if refused by the national committee again, I may consider a career in music. It wasn’t a sure thing for now, but I could think about it unlike rejecting all the previous offers I had received. It would give me something worthwhile to do with myself if I didn’t have the World championships and Olympics to train for. Music was my soul, I could never part away with it. Having a career in it would be something I would truly enjoy. I had to deal with half the effects of it already-controversy, rumors, gossip…

I was at peace now, at least it wasn’t a jumble anymore. I knew what to think, I knew what I felt. I figured it was alright to be a little confused, a little lost right now. As long as I never gave up, I could slow down a little and take my time to recover from the blows.

“You think I’ll get a chance?” I asked Dimitri as he was about the get out of the gym.

“I know they will; they can’t ignore you now. Certainly not now.” His thick Russian accent filled my ears and my hopes rose. He wouldn’t lie; he would say what he felt. And if he thought that the USAG would at least consider me, there was a good chance they actually would. He patted my shoulder and marched across the lush green lawns towards the exit.

“Hey, going somewhere?” I asked Malaika and Arbaaz as they both walked down, hand in hand. Malaika was in a purple gown and Arbaaz in formals, and trust me; they looked like they were set to kill the world just with their hotness factor. Sadly for them, I was way too used to them being smashing.

“Book launch party.” Arbaaz replied and I nodded, going into the kitchen to grab some snacks for myself. Maybe some yoghurt would do.

“Wanna join?” Malaika tried to cheer me up. I understood her concern- I had basically cut myself off from the world. I didn’t BBM or tweet, forget going out. She was starting to get worried now, but it was going to end soon.

“I promise, last day of me being miserable.” Malaika nodded and kissed me on the cheek before going out to get into the Audi. I had the entire house to myself, and no I wasn’t about to throw a party. My royal plan was to go to the terrace, grab a book I liked and sit reading.

I went to the library to choose from the tons of novels in our shelves, and saw the name ‘A thousand Splendid Suns’. Instantly, I picked up a random book and almost ran towards the terrace. I had picked up a book called ‘Air Head’ which was a Chiclet. Not wanting to go back to the library, I began reading the book.