Vacations!

ALISHA

At freaking last! Only one month of school and I was dying for Christmas break to commence. Today was the last day of school before we all gathered for party tomorrow and then went off for vacation. Most of my vacations would be spent in Mumbai training, but the few days of party and relaxation was something I would trade my soul for.

“Please, it’s the last day don’t teach today.” We begged in front of our English teacher and she gave up. We were stubborn as a grade, and when we demanded things, we got them done one way or the other.

“Alright. But we have to do something.” She raised her brows and a guy raised his hands,

“GK quiz?”

“No.” we all chorused back and burst into laughter.

“Let’s just talk about how we plan to spend the vacations.” Our teacher suggested after none of us attempted to give our suggestions. We all shrugged and everyone started talking one by one about their vacation plans.

“I’m gonna go to Singapore to my cousins!” Sasha chimed and I smiled. She loved her cousins more than she loved her own sister. Weird, but I loved her for what she was. And then her cousin was easy to like, even I liked her the few times I met her.

“And you?” all eyes were on me and I shrugged,

“I don’t have a choice but to train, but yeah there’ll be a nice private party I hope.”

I heard someone pass rude comments but I choose to ignore them. Their opinions about my plans least mattered to me. They’d be sitting in their living room eating popcorn and watching me perform in the Olympics someday, that’s when they’d know.

“In Mumbai?”

“Or LA or Dubai.” I added and she gave me a weird look. Yeah, who didn’t plan a new year’s party, especially if it was to be overseas right? But our plans depended on the guys and their work schedule. As much as I hoped they’d get a leave, I couldn’t ask them to just not turn up for work.

“Hey, I’ll be in Dubai too!” Aryan winked at me from the corner of the room and I smiled. If I could get to Dubai we could party together on New Year’s! That would be one of the best things that could happen…and I was getting way too excited, I know.

“Ok, enjoy your vacations…” we all went right out of the classroom the minute it was 2.40 pm. Nobody wanted to sulk around in the loungers or outside on the beach like the usual, everyone just rushed home. Nothing like the first day of vacations- except that I had practice at 4.

Grumbling while getting into the gym, I saw Lauren working hard on the beam. Today she was determined to get her routine right, so she had a stress free week away with her dad. Looked like she was gonna make it.

“Why so whiny?” Dimitri cocked a brow towards me and I sighed heavily.

“Bad numbers, I feel like stabbing myself just to get rid of PF. How am I gonna live through my life?” I rambled about my pitiable life and went on to vault with weight around my ankles. Yes, that was tougher than it looked.

Four hours in this gym seemed like eternity, especially because I had to keep checking every twenty minutes and keep my oxygen levels on track. Because of the fear of falling and hurting myself, I couldn’t attach the pod to myself most of the times when I was training. But then, after hopes against hopes, I pulled through the four hours and went straight to my bed. The fluffy pillows were more inviting than ever before.

And that’s when my phone went off,

“Hello?” I mumbled into the phone, half hoping it was just some call for me to buy some credit card or to sell some loan to me.