Statement

ALISHA

I spent the last two days sleeping the majority of time. In the five hours I was awake, I talked to the guys a little. Only Salman and Arbaaz were inside, since the doctor allowed only two people in the room.

They told me about the twenty people that died, and I admit that I cried my eyes out. I knew the kids, I knew the people who died. I could have saved them, somehow, if I could have told them about Tango Charlie. But the guys convinced me that I did save four hundred and eighty people, and that was a big deal. I still felt guilty about not being able to save them, but I made up with myself. For now.

For some reason, I didn’t remember it; I wanted to block it all out. But some memories were hard to erase.

Today, I was much more awake, and after a lot of begging the doctor got me off the ventilator. Apparently they kept me on it when I slept. Not so fair now, is it? They were gonna take me for some tests today, and I was anxious. I’ve been to CT scans, biopsies, X-rays and stuff like that before, but this one got me extremely anxious.

“Can’t I walk?” I asked as the nurse got in a wheelchair. Dr. Anderson looked up at me with an O.o expression, and shook his head.

“No. I’m not gonna take any risk.” I sighed and gave up sooner than I would have normally. The truth was my chest and back hurt so much that I didn’t think I could walk all that much.

So, the nurses helped me to the wheelchair, and Sohail came in.

“Ready?”

“Nope.” I replied popping the ‘p’. He kissed my forehead and looked straight into my eyes.

“You’ll be fine.” I smiled at him and they took me outside. As soon as I went out, I wanted to shield my face. It seemed like everyone I knew was here, waiting for me to get out. My family, my teachers, classmates, friends, family friends. Oh God, and I was in a blue hospital gown, bandaged, and a total mess. Kill me now.

Nobody bothered to talk to me, partly because the people were quick to get me to the elevator and to the X-ray room.

I felt pretty dumb now after I was done with the tests. They were awfully simple and fast. Dr. Anderson was there the entire time, since he was the only doc I trusted. Everyone else who was new to me was a threat to one part of my brain.

Anyways, I was back to my room, and Malaika was there with a bag full of my stuff.

“I love you.” I grinned as she handed me a skirt and top. Jeans and shorts were out thanks to the hassle of wearing them. So skirts, boxers and dresses were my only option. I refused to let the nurse help, so instead Malaika helped me get the gown off without hurting my right hand. Then, helping me with the top and skirt she sighed in satisfaction.

“Better. That thing was itchy.” I pointed with my left hand towards the gown and Malaika chuckled. She got my pillow out, got my covers and also stuff that I needed to survive. For example, chocolate, my perfumes and deos, flats, tic tacs, Pringles, eye liner, wallet. Oh, I loved her so much!

“Malaika, can you come out for a second?” Arbaaz called for her and she walked out in her six inch heels. I wanted to wear shoes and walk so bad.

“Miss Alisha, we are from CIA.”

“And RAW.”

Three officials in formals entered the room, and I cringed as I saw a gun with one of them.

“Please, don’t. Don’t shoot.” I begged, fumbling around.

“We won’t.” The one carrying the gun kept it on the coffee table on my right. I gulped and my head throbbed with pain. Get out, my stupid part of the brain yelled. My brothers had explained how my brain was just trying to protect me from danger, but it was wrong. I had to trust them, and not my damaged brain.