AT&T American Cup

UPDATE : THE SEQUEL TO THIS BOOK IS CALLED INTERTWINED PLEASE CHECK IT OUT!!! (link in external link)  

Please read the Author's Note in the end, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! 

------------------------------

ALISHA

Cheers. All I could hear in the locker room was cheers. Another routine, another war won. I was sitting alone inside, still applying glitter to my hair which was up in a fancy hair bun. Lord alone knew how many clips and pins were inside my hair to keep them in place, just like the glue that was kept my leotard in place.

My leo. This was one of my favorites, quite obviously because I helped design it. Custom made leos were something I fell head over heels for, and this one was a masterpiece. I looked at myself in the mirror. Colors played around my eyes, making me look like some kind of a fantasy creature. My skin glowed; my hair looked longer than they were in reality.

“Lizzie, it’s time.” Lauren came in and I nodded, grabbing my blue gym bag. It matched the color of the design on my leo- blue swirls.

“Kill them all.” She whispered in my ear as I got out to see the crowd waiting for me. Cheers again, this time with me on the display scene. I smiled, waved and then made my way near Dimitri to get ready. Biting my lips, I put my knee protection.

“Here.” He gave me the meter to check my numbers before I could perform. The audience went silent. This was the first time I was showing the world how I managed pulmonary fibrosis, and it wouldn’t be wrong to say that they were curious and sad. Nobody should have to go through what I went through. The assessment team and the paramedics were gonna keep an eye on my numbers throughout, but I wasn’t scared. I was too used to having this constant burden on my shoulders.

“This crowd over here? They don’t really expect you to perform.” Dimitri’s Russian accent filled my ears.

“Wow. Great pep talk.”

“No, it’s the truth. They’re here ‘cause they love you, or your brothers, or ‘cause of the other competitors. The experts are skeptical, nobody expects you to deliver. After all, it was way too short a time for physical and mental recovery.”

“But.” He drew a breath and I looked him in the eye, “I know you can. Your family, your friends know you can. Make this night yours, show them who you are. You’re not the celebrity sister here, nor the A lister, nor the lucky adopted kid. You are an elite gymnast to prove. To prove that all her haters, all the critiques were wrong. You are here to prove your skills, your talent, your passion. You’re here to prove yourself.”

I looked up at the crowd. In the VIP lounges were my brothers, my friends and my family sitting looking on at me. I couldn’t see them but I knew they were here somewhere. I knew they were here to support me no matter what, and I was going to prove myself to them too.

“Next up, exhibition gymnast, Alisha Khan.” I looked up to see my face on the screen.

This was it. If I scored the highest, I would get no medal. But if I scored low, my chances of Olympics were over. Even a criminal got ample chances to prove himself or herself not-guilty, but a thirteen year old didn’t. But nobody promised us that life was meant to be fair.

Tonight though, was mine. There was no chance I was letting anybody write my destiny for me. I wouldn’t have regrets, because I would know I tried my best to grab my dream. Just like that, the music to my floor routine went on.

“That was by far the best we have seen tonight!” the commentator’s voice boomed through Madison Square Garden as people shuffled to their feet. I opened my eyes to see a standing ovation being given to me. Wiping out one tear that had escaped my eye and rolled down my cheeks, I hugged Dimitri and Lauren. Cameras followed us as we made our way back to where we were seated to view the next performance.

“Her family is almost in tears.” The commentator said and I looked at the screen to see my brothers and friends cheering for me. They had huge banners saying ‘we love you Lizzie’ and ‘Go grab it Lee!’ The girls went crazy squealing their heads off when my brother waved at them and blew a flying kiss at me.

The next events went by smooth. I landed perfect on beam, not falling down. My vault was a major upgrade and I managed to not fall on my butt or face when I landed. Throughout they could not stop talking about how high my tumbles were, like I defied gravity when performing. I was second overall, just falling behind Kayla. The third was Lauren, followed by a Russian gymnast.

The last was uneven bars. One event that scared the hell out of me.

“Listen.” Dimitri came to me while I applied chalk. Kayla had just completed her routine, scoring high. “Don’t be afraid to let go. I will be there to catch you. Your family, you friends, your boyfriend even, we’re all here to catch you.”

The former was in a literal way. He stood beside the bar to make sure I wasn’t scared to let go during my releases. And for some reason, for the first time, I didn’t feel afraid to let go.

“This one is for you, mom.” I mumbled, landing perfectly.

“You did it!” Roo hag tackled me and squeezed me. We jumped up and down, holding hands like five year olds. The scores were out, I was first in the competition now. I saw Kayla slip a tear and Mason shooting us daggers, but I could care less. The USAG, and the entire country now knew what I was worth.

I didn’t get a medal of course, because I was an exhibition gymnast. But I could not stop clapping and cheering when Lauren got the silver medal in women’s category. She also got the highest score on beam, something she was incredibly proud of.

After the ceremony the USA team marched back to the locker room, me in tow behind them. Cameras followed, asked questions but I didn’t answer. I just went back, changed, and got into the car waiting for me outside.

“My super girl.” Adrian gave me a peck on the lips the moment I entered my room in the Plaza hotel. I saw everyone sitting around, waiting for my return.

“Thank you.” I hugged him, and all my friends who wished me. Salman came in at last, after a photo session outside with his fans.

“Half of them were crazy about you, the other crazier.” He hugged me from behind and I laughed. It had to be the first time his sister got the attention and not him. He had made me his famous noodles and I dug on them the moment I got my hands on the plate.

“What, I can eat like a pig too!” I mumbled with my mouth full of food and the room eroded with laughter. I was sandwiched between Adrian and Hailie, both of them nudging me every two second and saying congrats.

Sohail put on the tv, and flipped to a news channel.

“So, the big news tonight from sports is, the elite gymnast Alisha, better known as Lizzie. She went up there as a teen and came out to be America’s sweetheart. She’s better than ever, destroying everyone with her power and grace. The USAG has two choices now- to accept her into the national team again, or to shut down. I mean, she is really a fighter, a survivor. We love her, don’t we? Next on, Roger Federer…”

I grinned and got hug tackled again, my screams muffled my excited squeals. It was true then, I would get selected back into the national team. I would get my life back, and I already had my friends and family with me. This was just the beginning of a new life. My life.

 ------------------------

SO! The last chapter. It comes to and end...or maybe not.

Here's the deal. I have plans for a sequel, but I need to know how many people want it. The updates will be slow, but I promise a great story ahead...a more mature Alisha, new people, new problems! 

So, please comment and let me know.

And a HUGE THANK YOU to all my readers. I love you!