The pain of loss

SALMAN

Sohail went to hold Lizzie, but I stopped him. She needed this moment to herself, she needed her time by her mom’s grave. Her face radiated extreme anger and hate, but her eyes were what scared me. Nothing but coldness of nothingness. I opened the letter and sat near a shed while my family scattered around. Sohail and Arbaaz went to ask the manager of this graveyard more about her mother, while Malaika went into one of the cars and drove off to get some coffee for everyone.

Dear whoever is reading this,

Yes, I said dear because anyone who’s taking care of my little girl is the best person in the world. Honestly, I doubt it’ll be anyone from my family or anyone from his family- the one I used to call my husband. Maybe I should mention that he was abusive- physically, mentally and emotionally.

And he left us two saying he was already married. He left our house just like that.

I strived to grow her into an independent, strong woman, but here I am lying on a hospital bed. I’m here because I went to my ex again. He refused to meet his daughter, refused to even say her name. It hurt me, and I crashed the car into a truck. My fault, I know.

Just…take care of her. I can’t see her cry, I’d hate to see her sad. I know she must be devastated now, she must be at denial. But she’ll come back, I know her. She had always been a fighter, even when she was in my womb she fought with death to be born.

I can’t even begin to tell you how thankful I am for you to take care of my child. I don’t know who you are, but to me you’re like God’s guardian angel. Just hold my baby and tell her I loved her, and tell her to continue her life without me. Because I’ve finally found a way to peace, to God after all these years of suffering.

Forever Grateful.

I sighed and kept the envelope into the pocket. Running a hand through my drenched hair, I looked up to see Alisha still at her mom’s grave, just looking at the box in her hands intently.

“Hey.” I sat beside her and she looked at me with red eyes, but she had stopped crying.

“I don’t hate her. I thought I did but I don’t.” she explained, running her hand over the engraved name. Her voice was heavy, but barely a whisper.

“I know.”

“Just…don’t tell me ever who my father is. Never. I don’t want to hate anyone, but after knowing him I doubt I’d be able to forgive him. I don’t even want to know the face of the person who destroyed my mother’s life.” she whispered and I just looked at her. She knew what she was doing; she knew every step she was taking. I knew where she was coming from since she had seen me hate mu parents too. I didn’t want her to hate her father’s face too.

“Don’t you want to know everything?” I asked again. Maybe she was just hurrying up, not thinking over things in a situation like this. And I didn’t even expect her to be normal, not at all.

“Everything,” she looked up at me, “except my dad.”

I nodded and she got up.

“I want to leave. Now.” She went towards the car before I could reply, so I just followed her. Mike gave us a towel when we got in, and she dried herself. Everyone got into their cars, and she asked me to get into another car- again. I nodded and obliged to her request, leaving her alone in the backseat. I went into Sohail’s car and he asked before I could shut the door.

“How’s she holding up?”

“She’s trying to get a hang of it still. Trust me, the worst is yet to come.” I looked outside the window to see the man on the wheelchair looking sympathetically at Lee’s car. He came to our car and I rolled the window down.