Woken up...twice

ALISHA                   

Why did the world derive pleasure from waking me up in the night everytime? My phone went off and I growled, ignoring my new Daffy Duck laughing ringtone. And it went off- again. I loved all cartoons, but at night they were all irritating ‘cause they freaking messed up my sleep and dreams!

“I don’t care who it is, do you have any idea what time it is here?” I snapped, not bothering to open my eyes and check who was calling.

“Dad won, he won the elections!” Ashley’s chipper voice got me up and alert. What I heard could not be true it just couldn’t be. I mean, he deserved it and all, but still it was not possible! Did she just say that…

“So I’m talking to the first daughter of the United States? Oh my god! Congrats! Boy…this is surreal.” I hugged a pillow and flipped the lights on. This had to be one of my stupid, nonsense dreams. But deep inside I knew her dad deserved it, everyone knew that he was the favorite. And this was gonna be revolutionary. I mean, I had always been a ‘Buck Fush’ supporter, but I had no problems with our new president.

“And as much as I love it, I’m freaking out. Like it hasn’t hit yet, but like…and I can’t even speak!” she squealed like a little two year old and I giggled. She had never been the one to be at a loss for words, but right now she was lost. But I knew that feeling well- been there, done that. Fine, nobody in my family was close to being a president, but I went through the same thing when my eldest brother defied every boundary of fame.

“It’ll be amazing…imagine sleepovers at the white house.” I tried to encourage her, make her see the brighter side. That was exactly what my brothers had done for me, and I did for them. Make them see the brighter side through the pressure and heights.

“I think it’d be fun…I hope so. But I’ve gotta go, I have limits for calls. Mom let me call you only because I was jumping up and down to tell someone.” She chuckled. Her parents were the strictest I had come across, but they had raised two beautiful, intelligent daughters.

“Ok, bye. Congrats again!” I cut the call and sat on the couch. Wow, my childhood friends were now the first daughters of the United States of America. Guess Adrian was right. And just then, I texted him.

Hey you, I think you were right- Alisha

Heya! You still awake? And about what? – Adrian

I was woken up…by Ashley…Ashley Walz – Alisha

Are you saying that the now first daughter CALLED YOU??? – Adrian

Yeah, she’s an old friend…that’s what I was trying to say…you were right, I do have influential friends. – Alisha

You realize that now? – Adrian

Umm, yea? – Alisha

You’re silly…gosh I miss you. – Adrian

Miss you too :/ - Alisha

Hey, someone’s coming, ttyl – Alisha

Alright, gnsd! – Adrian

I kept the phone aside just as I saw none other than Salman walk in half asleep into my room and pick up my meter. I went unnoticed on the couch, and he went straight to the bed. Not seeing me there, he looked around to finally find me sitting right where I was when he came in.

“Middle of night check.” He yawned.

“I’ll do it.” I got the meter from him and sighed in relief to see a number in range.