Back Home

ALISHA

When the doctor meant ready to go home, he forgot to tell us about it taking another few hours to complete formalities, run last tests, and lecture me about health. Not that I was listening to them, I was busy just fantasizing about sleeping in my own bed.

“Ok, everything packed?” Arbaaz came into my room as a nurse helped me up. I could stand now, and walk with support.

“No…my legs look ugly.” I frowned, looking into the mirror. I had a striped black and white loose top with knee length shorts. And I said they looked ugly because I had bandages and cuts all over.

“You look absolutely gorgeous.” Arbaaz cupped my face gently and kissed my forehead just besides the wound. Even my face was bandaged, my hand in a cast, a belt around my waist along with the countless band aids and dressing.

Not replying, I looked at Malaika how was helping me tie the sneakers. Yes, I could tie them, but the doctor had banned bending and stretching for a few days.

“Ok, we are all set. Arbaaz and Malaika will be followed by Sohail outside. And then, after your cars leave the premises, Salman will get Alisha out. Nobody will wait, it’ll make handling people difficult. No stopping for anything at all. Am I clear?” Sean gave us a safety brief and we nodded. Arbaaz and Malaika left, Malaika carrying my bag with herself. Did I mention I couldn’t even lift any weight? How in the world was I gonna get back to gym?

“Check before you leave.” Sohail reminded me before going out with bodyguards and I nodded. Grabbing the meter besides the table, I inserted my finger and a beep told me the result was displayed. 97, not bad, but not great either.

“Ready baby girl?” Salman asked and I nodded, putting the meter into the pocket. He slipped his hand under my waist and escorted me to the elevator.

“Is that necessary?” I asked Mike, looking at the gun he was carrying. I stepped away from it, trying to stay far away anything associated with the attack or death.

“Sorry, but I have no choice.” He squeezed my shoulders and I tried to look encouraging. Failing, I looked at everyone around me. It was insane in here. Bodyguards, police men, hospital security. Everyone was here to help us make our way to the car. I knew we’d face paparazzi, but I also thought these people were going a little overboard.

“I can’t.” I gulped as soon as I saw the swarm outside. There were hundreds of people, with and without cameras.

“You can. I’ll be right by your side.” Salman held my left hand and his other hand was around my waist. Taking slow steps, the doors opened.

Everyone lunged forward in an instant. Everything was a blur. I cringed and got closer to Salman, trying to protect myself. They all felt dangerous and vile today. I couldn’t get the image of the two men charging at me back at school. It was so similar.

“You ok?” Salman held my hand as we got into the vehicle. Flashes still blinded us and I shielded my eyes from them. Salman got closer to me, and I clutched his jacket like my life depended on it. Why weren’t we moving?

“Sean, just move.” Salman tried and Sean honked again. No use, we didn’t move by even an inch.

“Atlast.” Sean sighed as we got out the gates of Seven Hills hospital and onto the freeway. I had no idea how they managed to get through the crowd.

“It’s ok, we’re on our way to home.” Salman rubbed my back and I stayed there for a while. Then, pulling apart, I looked out the window. The sea, the roads, the traffic even seemed to welcome me.

“And we are home.” Salman gleamed as we got into our driveway. I could see all our cars out, with many people in black on duty. Of course they were on high security. What happened outside the hospital was insane, and I knew there had to be a considerable amount of crowd outside our home too.