Losing the battle

ALISHA

I hadn’t realized when I fell asleep yesterday night. I was still in the clothes I had worn to go outside, and I was still clutching the letter close to my chest. Waking up, I figured I didn’t have to do that anymore. I didn’t have to train anymore.

But I couldn’t not go to the gym. Getting ready in shorts and a baggy top, I tied my hair up and went into the gym.

“I don’t know why I’m here, but I am here.” I showed Roo and Dimitri the letter, sitting in the corner and checking my numbers before starting off.

“They can’t do this!” Roo repeated. I had heard that the entire night, from everyone I knew. The point was that they could, and they had. Not bothering to explain it to Lauren, I went on the tread mills, setting the limits and started running.

“Lauren, torso conditioning.” He made her shut up and condition, giving me some time to myself.

I looked around the place. This was something my family and Roo’s father came up with after Dimitri was banned from coaching in the USA, as a result of blaming him of ignoring my health. We built this after Mason almost destroyed Roo’s life, after I had no gym. It was our life, but now it all seemed futile. All of this was for nothing.

All this while I had struggled and fought for nothing. In the end, I got nothing, just a paper mocking my sheer existence. Nothing of it even mattered anymore, not for me. If they didn’t give a damn, so didn’t I.

“Alisha, beam.” Dimitri pointed and I rolled my eyes. Why would I even bother to get my routine right now? It was all over. But I went over and did it anyways. I fell down face-first. Wow, the universe sure knew how to make a person feel nice.

“Concentrate.” He yelled across the room and I snapped at him,

“Why?!”

“Because you are still under training. Until I say to, you don’t stop.” He barked right back at me, and I clenched my teeth. Taking in a breath, I focused. It was the last time I would be here anyways, better bid adieu with pride. I landed perfectly.

It was noon, and me and Lauren were on our way to school.

“What next?” she asked, looking at me with obvious concern. I felt jealous of her. She was still the third best gymnast in the country, she still had a place in the national team and a shot at the Olympics. And here I was, going to a stupid school.

“I dunno, maybe just join a circus and put my skills to some use.” I retorted back, feeling useless. I had no right to feel jealous of her, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t. And that made me feel even worse, because she deserved the place and I couldn’t just envy her. Maybe it was me who was useless and unworthy.

“Bitch please, you are so much more better than that. You could like, sign a record deal.” The car pulled up in front of the gate and we got down, flashes almost blinding us. Wow, two girls in jeans and top, sneakers and flip flops- so much to fuss about. Not bothering to act nice and smile, I stormed inside the premises.

“Hey!” Veer was the first to hug me and I hugged him back.

“Hey yourself.” We went to our home class, where people were already chatting along. Someone was on their laptop playing FIFA, someone listening to music and others just chatting away. Our grade, the most notorious still the most loved in the school,

“You saw the Dubai news?” Aryan asked, giving me a half hug.

“Yeah. Thankfully Arbaaz cleared our side of the story.” His dad had also made it clear that him and we were just friends hugging each other goodbye, and that they didn’t mean disrespect towards any culture or mean to display affection.