Adoption chat

ALISHA

“You’ve gotta be kidding me…you were chatting with Adrian?” I asked Joe, who was at my place. Quite obviously he had turned the entire fridge outside down trying to find something to eat. Unfortunately for him, the maids had cleaned up just yesterday. In my hands was the fruit salad he detested so much. ‘It’s just veggies with garnishing’ he said, crinkling his nose at the bowl.

“Yeah, he seems like a cool kid, atleast on facebook chat.”

“Yeah, don’t tell him you think he’s a kid.” I added and he chuckled. I had just returned from therapy, feeling lighter than ever. Joe had come over to hand me some music they recently recorded, and was hanging out since he had nothing to do. Even with the four year gap between us, we were always close friends. And then I got a brilliant idea, which he agreed for. In fact he was here to tell me that the Jonas brothers had agreed to our idea, and to announce it to the world.

What was the idea? Be patient, you’ll know soon enough.

“Lizzie, if you don’t come fast you’re gonna be late.” An assistant called us from upstairs and Joe flung me over his shoulder.

“Joe, you cannot do that!” I hit my legs around, but he didn’t let go. He only placed me on the couch when we reached the media room- where we were gonna have a live chat.

“Live in thirty seconds!” the technician warned and I straightened my hair. Joe was obsessing over his ‘too perfect divine curls’ and I had to slap his arm off his head. He wasn’t due to go live for a while.

“Go!”

“Ok, so I’m here on time and my sister in law is late for a change. Hey guys!” I waved at the camera and got tons of replies. It was still surreal that people actually knew my name. Crazy stuff.

Malaika had flown in here for a day to take part in a live chat and then go to Canada for a two week long shoot. It was one of our recent endeavors- we had chats regularly to help people about adoption. Everyone including adopted kids, adoptive parents, friends and family was welcome to interact and chat. It was just another issue we were dealing with at Being Human, simply because the initiative was close to my heart.

“Sorry, my son was hurt so I was trying to calm him down.” Malaika sat down and greeted the viewers.

“Ok, so in the second chat, we thought having a female-me- for all the mothers and sisters would be great. And sorry we haven’t had any guests or anything, it has been pretty insane around here.” Malaika explained while I read the replies. There were tons of random fans looking for a fun chat, but we had no choice but to block them. It was a chat for a cause, and it would be unfair to get all ‘fan-friendly’ here.

“So, not wasting any time, shoot for the questions!” I grinned and they literally shot us with questions.

“Ok guys, you can slow down a bit, I’m struggling to read.” I mumbled.

“Another thing. People may not want to disclose their names, so if you don’t want your name to be taken, just add hash tag # at the start and we’ll keep your name under wraps.” Malaika said and people obliged. Most people here wanted their names to remain secretive, though I never understood why. I was a proud adopted kid, and wished everyone could be.

“Ok, here it is. What’s the role of a female when a couple adopts a girl child?” I looked at Malaika and she thought over it.

“Oh, it’s major. I’m not her mom,” she pointed at me up and down, “but I’ve been the only female in her life who you could call a motherly figure. Trust me- you need to build a relationship with her. She’ll come to you with things she can’t talk about with her brothers or in your case her dad, especially when she gets older. She needs to trust you, so you better work on that from now itself.”