Permitted

I woke up to find myself in my bed, tucked into the warmth of the blankets. I wondered which of my three brothers had done me the favor, and figured I would ask them later when they were awake.

It was 7 am, so thankfully for me I wasn’t very late today. Getting ready for the training this bright and shiny Saturday, I skipped down the stairs to grab some fruits and bacon with a protein bar. Contradictory to what I was expecting, I was in range with oxygen and felt light. I felt like some weight had been lifted off me after yesterday night.

“Where are the guys?” I asked the cook and he pointed upstairs towards the bedrooms. Of course, the lazy bums had to be dozing off still. Well, not for long now.

I opened Sohail’s room first, and saw tangled bodies in his bed. And the clothes down on the floor definitely was not an image I needed in my head. Groaning in my head, I headed right out and went into Salman’s room. He didn’t have a girlfriend, and thankfully my eldest brother did not believe in one night stands.

“Oh my God help me.” I went, rather climbed, into his bed. He had possibly the most beautiful bed in the world. It was made up of cubes, with wooden casing and a white, translucent cover. Inside the covers there were yellow light, which gave a golden glow to the cubes. All the cubes made up for steps leading to the mattress. The lights were normally switched off at night to save electricity, but today they were left on.

He just pulled a blanket over himself and slept. I could see by his posture that he hadn’t had enough sleep, and was just falling into deep sleep mode. He probably had a late night, working so hard or the project. I was proud of him, proud that he was pushing the boundaries and making history with his talent and determination.

I smiled at him and kissed his forehead. Switching the lights out while getting out, I also made sure to put his phone on silent. He needed some rest, some sleep.

“Hello, my darling people.” I hugged Lauren and Dimitri and she raised both her blonde brows at me. Dimitri smiled to see me chipper again. As much as he denied it, I knew that he was emotionally attached to every gymnast he trained, especially us to. We had been through a lot and he had guided us through all of it. One simply could not operate mechanically when you live through hell together.

“Someone is happy, may I know the reason?” he asked as we headed out of the house towards the beach.

“I just feel alive today.” I shrugged, loving the weather. Though it was a little cooler than I would have liked, a little smoggy, a little too much rush on the beach, yet I was loving every moment of it.

“Alisha, what do you think about the executions?” a paparazzo asked, and I ignored him.

“Miss Alisha, what if the USAG declines the re-petition to get you into the national team again?”

“Lizzie, do you have anything to say about the terrorists? How do you feel about their deaths?” the questions kept coming as we jogged. I sighed and asked Dimitri if I could go ahead he nodded and I stopped, Dimitri and Roo just behind me.

“Alright one, I hope the USAG at least considers my plea, and I can do nothing but wait now. If they refuse again, I will have to move on. I don’t have a choice in this one.”

“What about the terrorists?” asked the first paparazzo again and I looked to my Puma shoes before looking up again,

“I do have a choice in this one. I can sit and stay back in time, those dark few hours of my life, or I could choose to live in the today, the beauty of today. I chose the latter.” Something in my voice, in my expressions or in my words shut them up. They just took a few shots of us leaving and something that never happened took place- they turned and left us alone.