Gifts and pity party

ALISHA

I as forced to lie down on the bed. See, even with support to my back, all the crying and sleeping in awkward position took a toll on my already injured body. I was forced to be on bed, not get up, or even move around.

It was getting boring with every passing second.

“Please? Just let me sit for five seconds.” I begged at Salman and Malaika again.

“No.” both of them chorused and I pouted. Salman was on his phone and I suddenly remembered.

“Oh God. Salman I’m so sorry!”

“For?” he gave me a puzzled look looking away from the screen.

“I lost the I phone. I had it for hardly a month. I mean it had freaking diamonds! And you got it custom made…it had to be costly. I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to…”

“Silly. You think I care about that phone more than your life?” he caressed my cheek.

“No…but still! You got it with…”

“I have you. That’s all that matters. Period.” He shut me off and I zipped it. How was he not pissed off? I mean, not even a tad bit pissed? It had to be worth thousands of dollars, at the least.

“Malaika what exactly are you doing?” I asked in an attempt to change the topic.

“Making your nails look presentable.” She replied without looking up from my hand. I rolled my eyes at her. My right hand was in the cast, and she was actually painting my nails. Gosh, I had one weird family. But I didn’t argue back, just groaned as another spark of pain flew threw my body.

“It’s gonna stop soon.” Salman held my hand, and kissed my cheek. I smiled at him.

“Can I have a mirror?” I asked him, and he handed me his phone. Shrugging, I used the screen to check my face.

“I look horrible.” I noted the obvious. My lips were busted, there was a bruise on my left cheek, and a cut on my forehead. My neck had cuts and bruises too, just like my entire body. For some reason, seeing myself in this situation made me tear up.

“Hey hey, it’s all gonna fade away.” Salman cooed. How could I explain it wasn’t the marks but the cause behind it that made me cry? That the memories would never fade away, the only escape was death.

But before I could say anything, two people came in with random boxes in their hands. They were staff that worked at our house, I recognized them. They smiled at me and went out, to enter with more stuff. This continued till the room was flooded with gift boxes and flowers with cards attached. All the time, I looked at them confused.

“Am I forgetting some festival or birthday?” I asked randomly and Malaika replied all chipper,

“No! They are all ‘get well soon’ gifts. They were at our house but I got them here for you, so this room would lighten up. And we’d have a past time.” She blew air towards my fingers, so that the paint would dry up. Hope she hadn’t painted them all pink. I looked at all the gifts and smiled internally.

“Ok, let’s start with ours?” Salman asked and Malaika nodded excitedly.

Getting up, they were quick to spot their boxes.

“Ladies first. Not.” Salman said and opened the gift for me.

“Wow.” Honestly, it was a gift one could expect from Malaika. It was a showpiece of pink roses in a vase. And it was all crystal. It was a masterpiece in itself! Salman smiled and places the showpiece on the bedside table. I didn’t usually like pinky things, but the way it was created was praiseworthy.