Cataclysm

SALMAN

I was woken up by a call in the middle of night. I was in Melbourne, Australia, so it was almost early morning now. Yawning, I picked it up and grumbled,

“Yeah, tell me Chris.” Chris was a good friend of mine, also the new mayor of the city of Newark. Him calling this late at night felt weird, but then he must have had a night at Poker. Or was it even night there? My schedule was a mess.

“I suggest you get to the Atlantic city ASAP. And get your sister along too.” There was some urgency in his voice that got me wide awake.

“Why?”

“We think we finally found about her parents.” He chose his words carefully and I skipped a heartbeat. After all these years of trying, we finally got them. They finally traced Pixie’s parents in Atlantic city of all the places on Earth. And I honestly didn’t know how to respond, damn I didn’t know what to think either.

“You there?” he asked and I realized there wasn’t a sound other than his steady breathing.

“Yeah, yeah.”

“And I think I should tell you this. It’s bad news.” I didn’t have to ask what, he told me everything possible. He started from the time I requested him to put pressure to solve this mystery. A girl told us that Lizzie had been talking about New Jersey before losing memory and us finding her. Depending on that, I tried to find stuff out but failed. When Chris became mayor of Newark, I asked for this favor and he agreed.

Then, he asked other major cities to look into the matter. It took time- two years to be precise, but we now had the answers to all her innocent questions. But they weren’t what I would have liked them to be.

“I’ll be there. Thank you.” I said mechanically and got to work. Calling Sean into the room, I got him to make reservations of flights and stay. I on the other hand called Arbaaz, but instead of him Malaika picked it up.

“Hey, isn’t it like 5 in the morning there?” she asked as I could hear Arhaan snoring beside her.

“Malaika, it’s an emergency. Get to our house, and pack stuff for a few days. Tell Liz and Sohail to pack too. We’re leaving as soon as I come back.” I packed my stuff and got out of the room, Sean paying the bills of the hotel without checking them. Cassie called the director of the shoot side by side, letting them know that I was taking an emergency leave.

“What’s wrong?” she was alert now.

“We found out about Lee’s parents…and it’s not good.” She understood and sprang into action just like me.

Thankfully, we reached for the flight just in time. Putting on headphones, I tried not to think of the consequences of this thing. Of course there had to be some drama as soon as one was becoming bearable. It was like the universe had decided to get its revenge on us. For what, I had no idea.

“Why the fuck is there traffic at 4 am in the morning in Mumbai?” I tapped my hand on the dashboard impatiently as we sat idly near the airport exit.

“Accident I think.” Sean replied and I shut up. Finally, we got out of the line of cars after half an hour and speeded towards our house.

“Will anyone tell me why am I being forced to leave for America randomly? What’s wrong?” Lizzie’s voice echoed through the house as soon as I stepped inside. By the looks of it, nobody had told her yet.

“He’s here. Let’s move it.” the help began to get our luggage inside the cars as our cook got me some much needed black coffee.

“Salman is here too?” Liz ran out of her room and hugged me lightly. Her luggage was packed, and I was assuming it was someone else with all that yelling of hers.