Big Brother

SALMAN

“He’s a good boy.” Mike came in with nobody else. From years I had trusted him with my sister’s security, but now him liking her potential boyfriend didn’t really appeal me. I knew he’d protect her with his life, even from Adrian, but somehow it didn’t feel right.

“Where is your good boy?” I asked him and he pointed his chin outside. I nodded and looked at my watch- they still had time to get in. Just a few minutes and if he did not appear in front of me I’d make sure he’d never appear before anyone of us ever- especially my sister.

“Goodnight.” I heard Pixie’s voice full with excitement. I almost smiled seeing her so happy, but then the true purpose of me missing a friend’s success party came to my mind.

“Lizzie, get your friend in!” I called and Lizzie mouthed a no at me. I squinted my eyes at her and she knew there was no escape. We brothers were pretty lenient about some rules, and strict about others, and she was well aware of the consequences of not following them.

“Hello, sir.” Adrian came in and Alisha closed the door behind him.

“Lizzie, would you wait for me in your room?” I asked with authority evident and she looked at Adrian, not moving an inch.

“Go.” I looked at her intently and she knew slumped her shoulders in mock surrender. She went upstairs, biting her lips as she closed the door. I hated to get her worried, but it was for her best. I needed to make sure Adrian knew what he was doing, and it wouldn’t be possible with her around.

“So, Adrian Fields. Age fifteen, international swimmer, moved to Los Angeles just over a month ago. School ranker and also rumored playboy.” I emphasized on the latter and he looked down in sheer shame.

“Sir, I am serious with your sister.” He looked at me and something in his face made me believe him. No, I wasn’t gonna let him go so easily.

“Why, because she is my sister?” I raised my brows at him, hands in pockets. The dim lights did not hide his discomfort with my interrogation, but he was getting confident with every passing moment. Though I liked confident guys for my baby sister, over-confidence was something I looked out for.

“No sir, I like her because she’s herself and not the usual teenager.”

“So, her being famous and rich is something that gets you closer to her?” I pressed further. I knew people who had gotten close to her in the past, only to gain access to fame and power. It had left her devastated, and the last thing I wanted was a guy to do that to her.

“Her being strong and ambitious got me closer to her. She just has a…spark.” He smiled as he spoke and I cleared my throat.

“You know that she is only thirteen, right?”

“Yes, sir.” He nodded once.

“So I think you know that I will not hesitate to break your bones if you get anywhere close to getting intimate with her.” My voice was low, calm. And I meant every word of what I was saying, he better not take this lightly. But by the nodding and his body language, he didn’t seem dangerous for my sister. For now.

“I will not do anything she doesn’t wish to do, sir.”

“And not lure or force her into it?” I added further.

“Never.”

“Never hurt her, emotionally, mentally or physically?”

“Not till my last breath.”

“Treat her with respect and dignity?”

“Always.” I got up as soon as he said the last word. It was like taking vows, only there was no escape now. One mistake and he’d suffer more than humanely imaginable. Taking a short, quick breath and hands tense, I looked at him in the eye.